Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation Sample

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by velocityg4, Mar 2, 2012.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Does someone know where I can find a complete sample test of a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation? I'd go into further detail but it is personal family matter.

I've been searching but all I can find are explanations of the testing not an actual copy of a test used to see what it entails.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

It's a personal family matter?

Well good thing this is the anonymous Internet

go see a real psychiatrist

and don't take meds unless it's absolutely necessary

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

You would be looking for the DSM, but go see a counsellor, you cannot diagnose without the education backing you.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

There is a reason why psych tests are generally not available to the general public - pre-exposure to the test negatively effects the validity of the test. I assume you are talking about some sort of psych evaluation test (e.g. MMPI).

There are no right or wrong answers. The test are supposed to provide useful evaluative information.

Now, if you are trying to "beat" some test for some reason (e.g. employment or security clearance), then it still isn't available.

And if, worse yet, you are planning on using it on yourself, or someone else...very bad idea, as you are not trained to evaluate the results.

There is a reason folks like me went to school for about 100 years - it's called proper training.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much education do you need?

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The DSM IV-R is not a psych evaluation tool, is is a diagnostic manual.

Depending on the evaluation tool used, generally a minimum would be a Masters in a relevant field.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Again, if someone is truly insane it doesn't take a masters degree to tell.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's more complex than that. Frequently, behaviour that is regarded as expected and normal in one culture is regarded as 'truly insane' in another culture or era.

Minor examples abound in the modern world, such as the obsession that several cultures have with chopping bits off their babies's bodies, or the taboo some cultures have on displaying adult female head hair.

10. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Some amusing true/false questions:

1. Lincoln was greater than Washington.
    2. I have had a black, tarry bowel movement.
    3. My mother was a good woman.

I like to joke that it's a test to see if you'll put up with answering 500 weird questions.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

1. Depends on which bridge you cross most often.
    2. Eat more white bread.
    3. Most women are mothers.

Go ahead all you couch psychologists have at it! ;)

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Actually,and perhaps surprisingly (and depending on how you define crazy), sometimes it ain't so easy. Experience (after training) helps.

I've treat schizophrenics who are not blatantly obvious.:eek:

13. thatoneguy82, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I took this with a different angle than the previous one.

1. True. Washington was dead when Lincoln was born.
    2. True. You probably drink too much alcohol.
    3. True. Semantics suggest that she is dead. Most humans have a strong and positive feeling of attachment for the person(s) that's given them life. They are put on a pedestal and thought to be as the best, since it was them that gave them life.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Properly constructed tests are empirically valid, as opposed to face valid. Face valid questions are questions which obviously are related to behavior; e.g. do you feel like people are looking at you. Face valid questions are easy to psych out and fake, if that is the test takers purpose.An empirically validated question may bear no obvious connection to the psych issues being tested.

An empirically validated question is tested on known diagnostic populations and the statistical connection between the known diagnostic population and the response on that question (as well as making sure that the question shows a different response from another diagnostic group), allows a question, or group of questions, to determine information about the individual.

Now here's the kicker, the question may be something totally silly (e.g. "do you carry an umbrella" or some other apparently unconnected question), but it is the proper statistical association (and exclusion of other categories) that makes the question useful. Also, because the "right" answer is not obvious, or even discernible, makes it harder to fake.

In short, the question may not make any sense to the test taker, but it is empirically useful and diagnostic.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You should also take into account that a "comprehensive" psychiatric or psychological evaluation consists of much more than just testing. A trained professional will utilize interviewing skills to complete a full psychosocial history of the individual. Medical history is also taken into account. Testing is a useful tool, but it will only deliver a partial picture of what is actually going on with someone.