Compress 1.3 gb to 100 Mb

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kevin 177, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Kevin 177 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm submitting a college application video very soon and am in a predicament about the file size. I need to upload my video which is currently a six minute, 1.3 gb .mov file. I have access to Final Cut Studio and basic mac programs. How do I cut this down to 100 Mb? I know its possible as I have 2 hour movies using 3 gb on my ipod. The college to which I am applying allows mov, wmv, and flv files. Obviously I'm new to mac and this so any help would awesome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He Kevin,

is the file HD. Where did you make the movie, and where did you get it from. If you made it in FCP best way is too export it with compressor and search for something small. Or you could export with quicktime conversion straight from FCP, but use the h.265 (or h.264) codec. Both are very small.

You could use handbrake or ffmepgx (and there are even more free apps I believe) to convert an already made movie into another format. I would again suggest h.264/h.265. I don't know ffmepgx, but if there's an option for .flv I would choose it.

You could also try to put it on youtube (when you made it small enough it would upload) and download the .flv from youtube. Let youtube do the conversion. (you know how to download .flv from youtube, don't you. Open the activities window in safari, look for your video file (probably the biggest of all the files on the website), select it, press command c, open the downloads windows, press command v).

Hope it helps.

3. foshizzle macrumors regular

what is the current resolution/bitrate of the clip? the only way would be lower the resolution or the bitrate.

4. Kevin 177 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback arjen.

I made the video in Final Cut Pro then simply exported as a quick time file to my desktop. The mac I use is one at my high school so I will have to wait until tomorrow to try what you suggested. I'll try using compressor although I'm not familiar with it, and will probably trythe youtube method as well. I really appreciate your input, thanks a lot.

5. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Compressor will be your friend on this - and will be very easy for you. Use presets for Ipod/Iphone at the top of the preset list (I'm sure that your file is small enough to compress into something under 100mb - as I compress mov files that are 3X that size all the time and they are roughly 150mb). if you have the time, compress it in the half-size (320 x 240) and full-size (640X480) settings, that way you'll be covered. Simply change the suffix to .mov afterwards (otherwise they will automatically open/import into ITunes).