compress files you kidding me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frankbuddas, Oct 11, 2010.

1. frankbuddas macrumors newbie

Okay so I just tried compressing a file to burn 14 gigs by right clicking. It created a 13.98 file? So my questions is how do I for a new mac pro 10.6.4 compress files to reduce size like win rar. I tried getting the mac version but it doesnt work in 64bit. Also stuffit is way too expensive!!! Any suggestions woudl be greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What are you trying to compress? Text files compress a lot. Movies, music and some picture files, not so much.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What did you compress?

Were it videos or music that are already highly compressed via the H264/Divx/Xvid or AAC or MP3 codec? If so, compressing it further via RAR or ZIP will not gain much HDD space.

4. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

I was compressing video files from premiere a folder that is. With tons of files edits etc. :eek:

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Open one file in Premiere, QuickTime or even MediaInfo Mac or VideoSpec and see, what codec the videos use.
    If it is an MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 variant, you will not gain much compression anyway.

Btw, why don't you just save the project files and leave the media out? You could batch capture or batch import the footage if you need the media again.
    And the number of edits has nothing to do if a file or files are more or less compressible.

6. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

I just cant believe how little is being reduced here it doesnt maek sense

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't answer the question. What kind of files are you trying to compress?

8. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Since h.264 video is already highly compressed, how exactly did you expect to compress it any more? Compression isn't some magical technique, so don't be surprised if you can't compress something more than it already is.

jW

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's your answer:
    Try compressing a .zip file and see how much it compresses. Same principle.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will make sense once you looked at the media file information to find out what codec those files use.

You can't compress more if it is already compressed like "hell".

Btw, 14GB of video files is a little bit more than one hour of video and audio encoded via the DV coded if the video is in SD. If it is in HD and using a codec like AIC or ProRes (meant for editing in FCP), then it would even be less video.

You probably have MPEG-4 encoded video (AVCHD) footage, thus no further compression gains.

Maybe you have a look into superficial information what compression is and how compression is applied to various video formats and in various codecs to get a better understanding.

Or you could take a look at the files and report back.

Or I could eat my Börek now.

EDIT: Or I could have eaten my Börek while you have answered the question GGJstudios (one strange and much too polite member here) and I could have ...

H264, an MPEG-4 codec variant is highly compressive, thus not much compression can be gained by ZIPPING it.
    Btw, H264 is a highly compressive codec and not meant for editing, even if Premiere or other applications like Avid MC (via AMA) do support it. It is highly CPU intensive and will slow down the editing process.

Anyway, off to my Börek now. It isn't even one with spinach, they were out of it.

12. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

So after that thrashing I get it lol.... Continue to eat your Börek Im going to burn some files. Thanks guys for the life lesson. :apple: