Compress folders small enough to email

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blaklaybul, Sep 25, 2008.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

I have legally downloaded a live grateful dead show from bt.etree.org and I want to send it to my friend. The show is about 1gb in size so I can't send it in a single email. Is there any way to compress a folder of all of the songs to make it small enough to send?

If not are there any other methods I could use other than sending the files individually?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Have you friend download from bt.etree.org, too?

3. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

His university blocks access to any sites that distribute torrents, deeming them illegal. Obviously many torrents are illegal... But not these!!

Any suggestions about compression?

4. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

you could use a file hosting site such as mediafire.com to host the files for your friend to download

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

One of the simplest ways, if it's an option for you, is a direct file transfer via iChat. It's not the fastest method in the world, but it's simple and there are no file size restrictions.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Can you send him the torrent? Or are Bittorrent clients also block?

What kind of file is it? Most files are pretty compressed now a days.

You can try GigaSize to upload the file. Ironically, I couldn't access it since my work blocks certain personal storage sites :eek:

8. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I vote for iChat and some time... Another possibility is to allow him to download that file from your computer - I've never done that, but think I'd look into that in this case.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You should also keep in mind that some universities not only block certain protocols (like torrents), but restrict the amount of data they can download in a day. If you go over a certain limit within a period of time, the MAC address of that machine is temporarily cut off.

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I don't mean to go old school on you....but just mail him a DVD with the content.

S-

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You DO realize, of course, that you're responding to a year-old thread and that the OP hasn't been on the forums in over 9 months, right?

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, I hadn't noticed.....

Why do people (jpma) dig up old threads and respond??? I shouldn't have to look at dates.....

S-

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A newbie posted their first "hello" message in this thread, which popped it up on the Forum Spy list ... the mods moved the "hello" post to a more appropriate thread, but the damage was done. I've learned the hard way to check the dates... not just the most recent post, since others "fall for" things like this.