Compress iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speedemonV12, Oct 11, 2007.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I have been reading around looking for some info on this but have not found to much. I was wondering if there was a way to compress all my music so that i could save some space on my iphone. Actually so that i can fit all my song onto my iphone. I looked into OGG, but it seems that the iphone cannot play .ogg files. So is there a way to compress my music, and keep the same quality of sound? maybe by converting to another compression format?

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

No, there's no way to compress your music (your refering to something similar as a rar or zip file--can't be done with music on the iPhone) unless you feel like downgrading the quality and dropping your bitrate down on your music.

Also, if you convert to another compression format such as aac/mp3/ogg/ect. you'll be losing more quality from something called transcoding (google it if your interested).

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok.. Ill look into tgat. I was reading About ogg having smaller file sizes, but able to keep good quality. Is that refering to transcoding to ogg from a cd rip compared to transcoding to mp3 from a cd rip?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ogg, like MP3 and AAC, is just a way to shrink PCM (CD) audio down to a smaller filesize. I don't think you'll reduce the filesizes very far by using Ogg instead of AAC.