Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
I have a home video (DV) file that is about 11 gigs.....how in the world am i going to be able to put that on a DVD? Is it possible to compress the file or something?

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I've tried compressing .avi's and .mov's using stuffit, and they a 1gb file will only lose like 15mb... so, from my experience at least, it's not very helpful compressing the file...

rand()

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Michigan
That depends. If you want it to be a true "video" DVD, as in the kind that you play on your TV, then you *have* to compress it to fit the MPEG-2 standard anyway. But in all actuallity, you won't have to worry about compressing it, as iDVD will do that for you. Assuming that the DV file is less than 90 min. in length, that is.

If you're just backing up the file, on the other hand, you could compress it to any format you want (DivX, XviD, MPEG-4, AVI, animated GIF.. er... no.). Or, you could leave it uncompressed and span it across many DVDs.

Hope that helps.

-rand()

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
rand() said:
Assuming that the DV file is less than 90 min. in length, that is.

That is a very good point, however iDVD 4 can put 120 minutes of video on one DVD. How long is your home video? Once you work with it in iMovie and iDVD as long as it less than 2 hours, iDVD will do all the work of putting it on one DVD.

edit: You're file isn't a .mov file is it? It is DV footage, right? Because that would make a lot more sense in what you are talking about.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
DV footage is around 13GB per hour of footage, so i'd say that you shouldn't have any problems fitting your footage on a DVD.

it's already been mentioned about iDVD, that's your solution if you want to make a DVD that you can view on DVD player, in DVD Player.app etc.

if you just want to compress it to fit on a data DVD, you could use XviD or 3ivX to compress it. or maybe Mpeg 4? or if you can get H.264... :eek: :D :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Elan0204 said:
That is a very good point, however iDVD 4 can put 120 minutes of video on one DVD. How long is your home video? Once you work with it in iMovie and iDVD as long as it less than 2 hours, iDVD will do all the work of putting it on one DVD.

edit: You're file isn't a .mov file is it? It is DV footage, right? Because that would make a lot more sense in what you are talking about.

Mac's use QT to natively handle a/v files so if he captured the footage w/a Mac it will be a QT movie. .MOV is just a file wraper, it is in no way indicitive of what kind of file/format it is.

As others have said, if you want to make a DVD you can watch in a regular DVD player then use iDVD and it will compress it into the proper format (MPEG-2 for DVD).

I would advise against "archiving" footage shot on MiniDV on DVD because you lose a lot of quality.

Lethal

saturnk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

The DV footage is just short of an hour long. What I did was export it from iMovie with full quality settings and it automatically saved it to the desktop as a *.mov file. I will try the iDvd thing when I get home. But should I burn the exported *.mov file or just go straight to iDvd from the iMovie (export to iDvd)?

I do want it in DVD format btw.

Thanks!

saturnk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
I opened iDVD, imported the .mov file and it worked! 11gb on one DVD. It compressed it somehow down to 4.07gb, thanks ALOT for your help everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.