Compress vid down to an exact 1mb or less?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mexikolla, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mexikolla macrumors newbie

I have been racking my brain over this. I have searched everywhere (various forums, google, yahoo, apple) and I cant seem to find my answer. I have even bought a couple books to get aquatinted on the subject (missing manual editions) to no avail...

Here's the issue. My husband is overseas and can only receive emails that are 1mb and smaller & zipped. Before the mac I used to take video of the kiddos and upload them to the pc then "dial them down" if you will in Windows Movie Maker to 1mb in size before zipping them and sending them off in an email. {I know from my many searches WMM is considered privative to say the least, LOL}

He can not get "online" as that would broadcast the location of his ship, so uploading to a site like youtube wouldn't work.

I know the vids are tiny but every little bit from home means the world to him. :)

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steph

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I think the free program ffmpegx lets you set a target size for compression

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Handbrake, I think, allows you to fit a certain size.

I also think the Army should create an online service to make it easier for you guys (and all the other families in this situation).

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I hope he knows (and I'll bet he does) how much you care, to be doing this - awesome. Keep it up!

(Sorry I can't help more.)

5. mexikolla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you so much for your support. I am going to check them out now. :)

6. squidcore macrumors newbie

isquint

ffmpeg is great, but may be a bit advanced for those not experienced with video technology. the ffmpeg encoder is one of the best out there, but there are several apps that use the encoder.

Handbrake is also a fantastic app, but has a niche purpose, and is primarily used for dvd ripping/encoding.

I would recommend isquint. It's based off the ffmpeg encoder, but has a much simpler user interface. The downside to isquint is that it lacks a number of features from the full ffmpeg encoder, such as multi-pass encoding (which will help with background quality in video).
    The developer of isquint also makes a full featured version called visualhub, which is about as powerful as ffmpeg, but does cost about $20.

Both isquint and visual hub should both be on versiontracker, but you can also find them on google i'm sure.