Compress video size?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by itegypt, Sep 26, 2011.

1. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

I have one video file size 2GB that I took from my iphone I have it in my mac now...I wana make it much smaller to send it to someone via youtube, host link or email….etc what would be the best way to do that? I wana keep the whole video but make much smaller

Thanks

2. TMRaven, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Through the use of transcoding program. Some good free ones are handbrake and avidemux. I recommend avidemux because it has way more options. (I'm not sure if the developers have fixed avidemux for lion yet, but if you want to run avidemux in lion you have to delete a couple specific files in avidemux's folder)

You can use some very high quality codecs like x264 to get your video down to a very small bitrate while still retaining high quality.

3. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

never done it before...downloading avidemux

Thanks

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

If it's not opening for you, right click avidemux to show its package contents. Delete 'libxml2.2.dylib' and 'libiconv.2.dylib' from contents/resources/lib folder. (assuming you're using lion)

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I don't think Avidemux is the tool for a novice. I think you'd be better with Handbrake or even importing into iMovie to use its 'Share' option. Both will give you the option of specifying a target file size, but if you're attempting to squash it substantially you should lower the resolution too.