Compressed format for storage?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yawara kid, Jul 9, 2007.

1. yawara kid macrumors newbie

to save goin through trial and error could anybody offer me some help in which format i should compress to that will still have dvd quality for burning etc but won't take up 17gb for an hour video? I've tried .mov format but only drops about a gb, mpeg 4 compresses heaps but loses alot of quality... which format should i use that will be readily used by dvd players after burning?

Thanks in advance, Jim.

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

What are you dealing with that requires 17GB/hour? DV is better than DVD quality, uses around 11GB/hour and can be backed up to MiniDV cassettes, which are cheaper per GB than hard drive space. If you are dealing with something not as high quality as DV, it probably uses difficult-to-edit interframe compression anyway so why not just encode it to DVD.

3. TheFuzz macrumors regular

i don't think i fully understand what you're asking either. are you asking for advice in archiving projects you've created? if so, i've found that saving them as quicktimes using the PNG codec works really well. when it's set at 100% it's lossless, but the sizes are much smaller than files saved using animation at a 100%. when you say you've tried the .mov format, which codec did you use? dv/ntsc?

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

not sure you're going to like this, but why not leave it in DV format and buy an external harddrive? You can get a cheap USB2.0 or firewire enclosure for like $30 and a 500GB harddrive for $100

If you compress to any codec that isn't lossless, you're going to probably b disappointed when you go to burn your DVD.

5. skimaxpower Guest

I completely agree. When you finish a project and want to archive your final version, just export a full-res DV file. Yes, the file size is huge, but you'll have the most flexibility and highest quality in the future.

If the DV files are small enough, you can burn them as data on a DVD (ie: not MPEG2 video.) If they're huge, just buy an external hard drive.

Question: are you dealing with HD-DV, or the standard flavor?