Compressed ZIP help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nsthreed, Jul 11, 2009.

1. nsthreed macrumors newbie

I recently compressed a whole load of my images (8+gb worth) with stuffit to around 4.01gb to fit on a DVD-R, now I'm back home I can't seem to open the damn thing..get all sorts of errors etc etc.

I've tried the default mac os x software, stuffit even the old school terminal thing and still no luck.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know of a workaround at all? I seriously hope I haven't lost all of these images :( much thanks in advance!

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I reckon you have lost them, hopefully you still have the originals?

Images (by which I presume you mean JPEGs) but same applies to just about any other format except bitmap, are already compressed. Compressing them again usually has very little effect, just a few percent. If you could get a further 50% compression without quality loss at that level, then JPEG would have been able to do that in the first place. As a test I have used Apples 'compress' on a 207 Mb folder of JPEGs, resultant zip file is 206 Mb, less than 1%. I think you missed the prompt to put the second DVD in.

You might want to google if these is a utility which will let you recover files from part of a stuffit archive. I would guess half of your files are in there.

3. thomasp macrumors 6502a

The file "backup.zip" is on a read-only DVD by the looks of things, and my guess is its trying to unzip the contents to the read-only disk, which is impossible.

Try copying the ZIP file to your hard drive and then unzipping it from there. You can then trash the ZIP file since you'll have it on DVD.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think thomasp got it. The unzip tries to unzip in the current directory where the zip is at and since it's on a CD/DVD, then it can't write to the disc. For you Terminal command you need to give it a destination to get around this, or drag the file to your computer like thomasp suggested.

Code:
    unzip /Volumes/Backups/backups.zip -d ~/Desktop
    The above will unzip the file to your directory.