Compressing files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willie45, Nov 9, 2008.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? When I try to compress a file which has for example, an original file of 500kb I will get a compressed one of around 489kb which doesn't seem very useful to me.

All advice gratefully received

Willie

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately the ZIP compression in Mac OS X isn't really... compression. You might have to use a third-party utility, of which there aren't very many at all.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not true. My guess is that the OP is trying to compress a video or graphics file that is already compressed.

4. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

I was trying to send a file of jpeg pictures, but I have also found this with PDF documents as well

Willie

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

also 500kb these days is pretty small for the internets we have today.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Compression makes it easier to send multiple files across the net, regardless of the size. In any case, compression works the best on text based files, like word documents.

Paid for programs will do the job better, if you need it.

8. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

500kb are pretty small!! How small do you want to make them? Compression stops after a while. I mean you can't compress a file to 1kb!

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

OS X out of the box does a pretty good job with ZIP files. (OK, I'll give props to Windows. Treating ZIPs as directories is not too shabby.) I've been using Zipeg lately because you can view a ZIP before it gets decompressed. And best of all, it's free. It has worked great on my machine (intel Mini, 10.4.11)

mt

10. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Nice "guess" but he's right. I've tried on several occasions to use the zip utility in OS 10 without luck. It comes out exactly the same size or 2-4kb smaller. I have tried with files up to 1GB!

11. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Lots of files have built in compression. .docx, pdfs, graphics files, audio files, etc., which means OS level zip-ping won't have much effect. And if you're compressing a file smaller than the block size on your hard disk, the compression won't mean much -- the physical size will be smaller, but the logical size will be the same.

I just did a quick test with the three largest text files on my hard disk. The compression was more than adequate.

mt

Attached Files:

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I use Zipeg on my Windows computer at work. I use this instead of WinZip because WinZip gives you those annoying "Purchase Me" messages every time you use it.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OP is trying to compress graphics files just as I had guessed. As for MacOS X's built-in Zip compression, it substantially compresses files that are compressible.