Compressing Huge Video - Macbook

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gbriker, Sep 18, 2010.

1. gbriker macrumors newbie

I have a a video of an interview I did for a documentary. It's about 45 minutes long, and 28 GB. The interviewee requested a copy of the video, so I am trying to compress it to put it on a data DVD that I can send to him. The video file is currently on an external hard drive. However, I've tried several ways of compressing the file to a reasonable size, but every time, the external hard drive drops out before it can finish. I've tried using Quicktime Pro, Final Cut Express, and MPEG-Streamclip to compress it, but it seems that my Macbook just can't handle it.

I need some suggestions on better compression programs, or anything you can think of that can help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you mean with "the external HDD drops out"? What about copying the 28GB file to your MacBook (Desktop maybe) and then using either MPEG Streamclip or Compressor or Handbrake? I had no problems using MPEG Streamclip compressing bigger files into smaller ones.

Btw, what settings do you use for your target file (format and codec) and what connection do you have between the MacBook and the external HDD (Firewire or USB)?

3. gbriker thread starter macrumors newbie

The external drive ejects itself from the computer mid-transfer.

I tried copying the file to my desktop, but again the hard drive dropped before it could finish.

The video file is a .mov, originally shot in HDV. Preferably, the compressed product will also be a .mov file, but that doesn't really matter.

The hard drive and Macbook are connected through Firewire. Additionally, it is not a pro video drive, just a standard Western Digital.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. gbriker thread starter macrumors newbie