Compressing Movies for iPhone 4 for maximum Storage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Walkaa, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Walkaa macrumors member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi all,

Im going to LA from London on thursday and i don't want to get bored on the flight i know virgin have a huge multimedia library but still i want to upload my own movies onto my iphone through the VLC app. i have quite the catalog and just want maximum choice there all around 700mb-1.4gb how can i compress these whilst saving quality to get more movies on the phone.

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

Oct 18, 2008
    If they're as divx avi's right now, use handbrake to convert them to h264's for ipod app, should be able to reduce size maybe 25%-50% depending on how much quality loss can stand due to better codec. Best to fiddle with a short sample till get a compromise happy with.
  3. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2010
    use handbrake, but we can't answer what bitrate to choose

only you can decide what quality/size ratio is acceptable, you need to mess around with files and decide what bitrate is acceptable for your tastes)

I wouldn't use the VLC app btw, it blows compared to a properly formatted handbrake h264 file using the native iPod video player

btw you're going to get bored watching a movie on a 3.5" monitor, and if not that, then it will be the battery

Get a good book, some comic books, a puzzle, something non-electronic for a long trip

I built a Gundam Plastic model kit when I flew back from Japan to LAX