Compressing Quicktime File to a Target Size

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dignan., Nov 12, 2011.

1. dignan. macrumors newbie

I know there are many threads on compression but I have yet to find an adequate answer. I need to compress a Quicktime file from over 2G to 500mb. The file must remain Quicktime.

Is there not a program where the user can set a target size for the compressed file, other than HandBrake which does not export .MOVs?

Any help is much appreciated. I have tried compressing several times on a trial and error basis which is very time consuming and challenging.

2. careypo macrumors member

I think your best bet is to get Apple's Compressor. It's $50 and it supports all Quicktime formats. To get to a target file size you need to figure out what the bit rate is. (File Size/Time) x 8 = bit rate. Next, adjust the bit rate in Compressor to match your intended file size.

3. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

MPEG Streamclip is your friend and it's free.

You'll have to tell us how long the film is so that you can calculate the maximum bit rate for video+audio.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Google for a bit rate calculator. It'll help you to determine the bitrate needed for compression to target size.

But on the other hand: what bit rate does the original have? Divide that by four and you have your number (err on the smaller side though)

5. dignan., Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

dignan. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

The video is 1 hour 25 minutes and 46 seconds long and 2.7G. My target size is under 500mb.

MPEG Streamclip says that my audio is 256kb/s.

I used this calculator: http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/index.html

So the answer is 524kb/s. I punched this into Quicktime and my exported video file was still over a gigabyte! MPEG Streamclip is not allowing me to limit data rate. Perhaps I need to change from 24 f/s to 29 f/s?

6. dignan. thread starter macrumors newbie

7. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Compress in Handbrake then open the resulting file in MPEG Streamclip and File > Save As > MOV

8. dignan. thread starter macrumors newbie

How was that so easy!? What's the point of exporting files when you can just save them in a different format in a minute?

Thanks.