Compression on Still Image Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AFABS, Mar 8, 2010.

1. AFABS macrumors regular

AFABS

I'm using quicktime pro to create a video using a single picture and audio my band recorded, which is now an mp3. This is an extremely simple video and i will be doing more of these in the future. I don't have this problem using imovie hd but the video i uploaded with qtp as an mp4 sounds great but looks like complete crap! here it is http://vimeo.com/10013366. I used a 15fps frame rate when i exported...what gives??? please help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It has nothing to do with the frame rate (AFAIK), but with the compression.
    What settings did you use during export?

And does the .mp4 file look good and only the uploaded version like crap?

3. AFABS thread starter macrumors regular

AFABS

yeah the file when played in quicktime looks perfect. export settings...
    H.264
    data rate 1800 kb/sec
    optimized for streaming
    image size 640 x 480 VGA
    Frame rate: 15
    Key frame: automatic

sorry shoulda taken a screenshot

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the problem must be on Vimeo's end.

How about contacting their support and ask them, why your video shows up that way?

I think they will have lowered the bit rate therefore the picture looks like crappy doodle popcorn.

5. AFABS thread starter macrumors regular

AFABS

that might be the case... but i uploaded it on facebook too and it looks like garbage as well.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That might have to do with the in-house compression that takes place at the sites you uploaded to.

As the only video content is a still image it might be the case that the new compression does not comprehend it correctly to properly encode the video, as it "expects" moving images.

Maybe you can give 25 frames per second a try and set the keyframes to every 15th frame and up the video bit rate to twice the original amount.

If that does not help, maybe look for guides on how to properly encode videos with still images for Facebook, Vimeo and other video sharing web sites.

Also consider changing your thread title to something more descriptive.

7. AFABS thread starter macrumors regular

AFABS

thanks for the help spinner...you're right my title isn't too specific...not sure how to change it tho...however, it seems like i solved the problem. i think the original image used in the video was much too large, so it prolly got compressed or something when exporting. i made another video and scaled down the image to the exact video size and tried it on facebook, and it looks a million times better. frame rate was not the issue. my bad. thanks again...-alex

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Good to know it was that simple to solve.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.