Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
New job, new editing system. I'm working on Adobe Premiere and edit commercials. I need to be able to email the finished spots to clients. Most spots run :30 secs and need to be under 10MB files, preferably under 5MB. My old Avid had presets to accomplish this, but my new system needs to be manually configured. Anyone know the settings I need to accomplish this? I've gotten it to work by playing with the settings, but the quality comes out so poor. Just looking for any standard way of compressing these files. All help greatly appreciated.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I have no idea how you would make a broadcast quality spot under 5MB or under 10MB for that matter. The best video codec I have come across is Apple's h.264 QT codec, but I don't think that even that would do it.

What was the codec you were using under your old Avid system?

P-Worm

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Not trying for broadcast quality at all. just something to access thru email.

I've been trying these settings:

Quicktime
Sorenson 3
320x240
150kb/sec

This has shrunk the file the most for me, a :30 spot coming in at 9.49MB after compressing. I need it to be about a third of this size file wise.

ewoh24

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
Use either mpeg4 or H.264. Sorenson isn't as good (IMO). Experiment with the settings and size. For email I would use 320x240. You can DEFINITELY get very high quality WAY under 5-10MB for a 30 second clip. Remember though, H.264 drags down just about ANY computer. It's slow...Mpeg4 is faster and still very high quality. Depends on what looks good to you.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Thanks for all the help. Not sure why, but mpeg4 is macroblocking all the fast motion. I got Sorenson Video 3 to get me just over 5MB. Not ideal, but it will do for now. This system doesn't have h.264 as an option, so much for trying that... If you have any more suggestions, keep them coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.