Compression Woes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Mar 24, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

I have a 3gb uncompressed 60sec 720p-HD video and i turned one version into h.264 which is a pretty decent quality at around 75mb compressed quicktime.

Then i wanted another one which is even closer to the original and have the file-size be around 200-300 (for dvd usage). However no matter what i put in the settings, bit-rate or quality i always get it only at around 75mb.

I tried everything, from compressor to sorenson-squeeze to directly out of quicktime. I tried other compression-formats like sorenson3 and still the same.

Why is it so difficult to get it out as desired? Nothing wrong with the 75mb version, the quality is almost on par with the original but still...

Any ideas/ suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

what were the export settings for the 75mb version

3. -DH macrumors 65816

DVD-Video is MPEG-2. Do not encode to MPEG-4 if you want to make a DVD. You'll lose a ton of quality by encoding twice.

If you use iDVD, it will do the encoding; just export a self-contained movie from your NLE and use that in iDVD.

If you use DVD-SP, export a self-contained movie from your NLE and use that file in Compressor for encoding the MPEG-2 video file (.m2v) and the .AC3 audio file. Import the two resulting files into DVD-SP for authoring and burning.

-DH

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry i guess i meant dvd-quality version not to put on a dvd exactly or necessarily.

The setting for the 75mb version were more or less: h.264, over 10k bitrate (didn't matter really if anything between 6000 - 30000 as stated before) and aac for audio.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

what you're getting is about as good as you'll get with h.264...

if you need it to be the same quality as the uncompressed file, just burn that to dvd.