Compressor 101 - scaling video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Sep 28, 2010.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm trying to put compressor to use and give it a whorl in my production flow. I was wondering...the client wants the video in NTSC 720x480 16:9. Normally I would just use quicktime conversion but thought that I could be editing while it exporting using Compressor. How would one achieve this? When I try, I get black bars on the side, but its also wide screen too :confused:
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. hsilver macrumors regular

here's how - maybe

First of all in FCP make a QT Export - self-contained of your sequence. (Make sure there are no in or out marks in seq.) Then you can bring that into Compressor while you continue working in FCP. I create a custom setting for HD video scaling in the Geometry tab and set image size to 853 x 480 using pulldown tab of custom 16:9 aspect ratio. You could also do 720 x 355 or whatever the 16:9 ratio is if width is more important than height.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I don't really want to export then re-encode as I'm trying to save time. (i work in broadcast) I would just like to click send to compressor, click a few buttons and have it go.
    What do I have to click to make it 720x480 16:9 with no clipping and/or black bars on the side. :confused:

4. hsilver macrumors regular

You said that you wanted to work in FCP while it encoded in Compressor. You can export a non-self-contained video to Compressor in a few minutes but it doesn't work very well and may take just as long or longer to encode.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Exporting a self-contained Quicktime movie takes relatively little time, depending on the running time of your project. When you choose File -> Export -> to Quicktime Movie, FCP writes the file using the sequence's actual setting. There's no actual encoding going on there, unless you have have non-RT audio or video unrendered on the timeline. Typically, the export will happen as fast as your disk(s) can write.

What delivery format do you require? You likely you need DV NTSC 16:9 (anamorphic) encoding if it's for broadcast television in the States. Compressor has several built-in presets for that. Rescaling to square pixels (640x360 or 720x405 are common for this type of material) should only be done for Internet delivery (such as YouTube or Vimeo).