Compressor output is black

GumaRodak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
Hello, i just purchased compressor to do transcoding media formats like avi, mkv etc to m4v, mp4...for my apple devices.
But so far whatever i put inside and code, the resulting file is black video with no sound...
not to mention, that during this coding, my cpu is on 10% usage...and it takes like 30 minutes to code 60 min video....

am i doing something wrong?

Ritsuka

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2006
Compressor doesn't read mkv, and supports only a small part of avi (the ones with dv video and a few other). If you want to convert to mp4 for Apple devices, it's better to use HandBrake for example.

GumaRodak

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
yeah thx for the advice...it was more than 30 days back...so its lost already :)

vovov

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
I´m having similar problem with trying to transcode H.265 HEVC (Fujifilm X-T3) video clips to ProRes.

Everything seem to work fine but result is audio ok but black video.

I´m running OSX Sierra + Compressor 4.4. Compressor 4.4 supports H.265 but it´s not working for some reason. I don´t know if the problem is the OSX Sierra which doesn't support H.265?

vovov

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
I tried Handbrake and that program transcoded it without problems, same computer and same Sierra.

Compressor is limited with the resources the operating system gives it so it won't work. I would think Apple could add the needed resources to Compressor itself, like Handbrake has, but I guess the goal is to push people to new osx and new hardware. Wide compatibility is bad business.

Reactions: Boyd01

Ritsuka

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2006
It costs money to distribute a HEVC encoder and decoder. If Apple added it to Compressor, they would have to pay it twice.
And yes, they want you to run the latest version of macOS.