Compressor settings....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ben1l, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

Hi

Sorry if i sound like a complete novice when it comes to Compressor but i just have a simple question. I want to use it to convert a whole load of Avi files to Mp4 but I’m not sure what setting to tweak to get the best looking results without making the encoding process last forever or that the files that it spits out aren’t too huge. The Mpeg-4 preset didn’t seem to produce a particularly nice or smooth looking picture. Can anyone help? Or if you can suggest a better/ different program that will do the job?

Thanks a lot

2. banjomamo macrumors regular

Ive always liked the H264 results but it takes longer. If you arent already doing multipass you need to be - that will get the quality much better. It definitely takes longer but the results are worth it.

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

MP4 generally won't give you good quality unless you really crank up the data rate, which results in very large file sizes. As the poster above me suggested, H.264 (uses the Quicktime format) is really efficient, but it does take a long time to encode. You might also try Sorensen 3 (also Quicktime) for a faster encode with similar, though slightly lower, quality.

4. decal macrumors member

decal

I have spent many hours trying to get the best combination of quality and file size to use in Keynote presentation. What I have worked out is that if you export in H.264 with a horizonal size of 640 pixels and quality set to medium it will scale upto 1024 with out any loss of quality.

So for a standard 3:4 screen (ie TV or projection) you would use a custom size of 640 x 480. If you were using a 16:9 (ie Plasmas) then it would be 640 x 360.

Also I have tried a heap of differnt programs to help make the process quicker, but have always come back to QT Pro. It has always given the best quality.

I hope this makes sense and is of help?
    :)

5. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

6. skimaxpower Guest

Download a free program called Quicktime Quick Batch. It will let you set up a queue for QTpro.

As others have said, QTpro is slow, but the quality is worth it.

7. decal macrumors member

decal

Thanks for the tip on Quicktime Quick Batch. What a great little app. :)