Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icaruscollapse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
CompUSA has a promotion right now where you can get 24 months no interest on any Apple computer, so I want to take this opportunity to get a 17" MBP...

I know, I know, CompUSA is the devil, but im gonna get the AppleCare separately, so I won't even have to deal with CompUSA aside from paying the card off.

My question is, does CompUSA carry any of the BTO stuff? I wanted to upgrade to 2GB of RAM (Which I know can be done separately, very easily), but in addition, I wanted to switch to the 100GB 7200rpm drive, because I do a lot of photoshop and video editing work. If they don't carry the model with the 7200rpm drive, it looks like I'll be saving for a bit longer...

On a separate note, I might be willing to settle with the 5400 drive if performance would be fine using an external drive instead. I'm planning on getting a firewire 800 drive for my video editing anyways, so the main drive would be used for all the usual stuff (Instant messaging, email, web surfing, word processing, itunes, iphoto) and some World of Warcraft, with all the video stuff done on the external drive. The external drive would just be used to hold the video...Final Cut and every other program will be on the main drive. Would a 5400rpm drive work well in this scenario, since the FW800 7200rpm drive will be used for reading/writing the video, not the 5400...

Opinions on both the CompUSA thing and the drive comparison, please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.