Compusa Mac Closeout Deal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Richdmoore, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Hey, I really didn't know where to post this, I think this forum is the most applicable. I went into a Denver Compusa store today and picked up a 60w magsafe power cord for $32 plus tax (brand new). I also saw a copy of Leopard for $50 (box was opened) and several copies of Tiger (I don't remember the price.) Also there was a few mac games, a mac copy of Autocad (universal) for $30 and some other stuff.

I think the stores that are still open close sunday, I believe everything goes to 80% off tomorrow (Saturday) and more than that off tomorrow. As someone will point out, the actual stuff at each store is YMMV, but it may be worth a final look at some cheap apple hardware before the store closes for good.

Oh, and I would still be hesitant to buy something that you don't have a good idea of the price on, they still had some rip off deals as well, like a $90 copy of Windows XP, and $100 keyboards with keys broken off. :eek:

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yeah, all the CompUSAs are having sales. Too bad they don't sell Macs :) Then they'd be 50% off too!

3. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Huh? The compusa in Oregon I go to had a bunch of macs, I last checked Tuesday and they had at least one macbook and some kind of a mac pro (I don't know the specs.) They also had about apple 10 wireless internet cards marked warranty void if not installed by an authorized apple technician.

I would guess that all of the apple computers have been sold by now, but then again they still had several pc laptops, so maybe there might be a couple of stores that still have a mac laying around.

To be fair, they also had a large 30" apple cinema display, marked defective for a bargin price of $1000 (I think....) :confused:

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Those are some good deals. Nice find on the Magsafe, and that Leopard copy looked pretty good too. But I'm not sad to see them go, the store in Indianapolis was a nightmare before they announced closing, then everyone somehow became nice to customers. :rolleyes:

5. jfull15 macrumors 6502

I wish we had a local CompUsa, there are a few little things I've been needing to pick up like USB Hubs, firewire extenders, maybe even ipod docks? stuff to improve my setup..

6. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I returned home from my trip and checked out the local Tigard, OR Compusa tonight.

I'm going to pick up a USB fax modem tomorrow (they had a bunch of compusa brands), it should be 80 to 90% off, mainly to use with my mac to send faxes to people who don't take pdf email files. I looked online and google showed a web site that said leopard and tiger will do faxes without other software, so it should be a good buy.

Other than that just a few loose odds and ends was all that they have left, I may pick up a 800 to 400 firewire cord they are selling, just in case in ever get something that uses firewire. I may pick up some small items like eyeglass cleaning clothes or a dilbert mousepad too.

This store had no apple software left at all, they even had sold about 40 vista packages that they had on display Tuesday. Also gone was all the mac accessories, even the overpriced (still) apple remote controls ($20 new from apple.com, they had them at a base price of $45 with 30% off for a long time.)

Even during most of the closeout the deals were still very bad, I wonder how much money the liquidation company made selling 30% off items that cost more than the same items at best buy or circuit city?

Oh, and they had 2 mac computers still for sale, both damaged items. They had a macbook pro marked as having a cracked hinge, and a mac pro (Quad Pro maybe?) that had a bad ram slot, so would only take 8 gigs rather than the normal 16gigs. I think the mac pro was listed for $2800 and they were selling it for $1500, but no way I would buy an as-is computer with ANY known problem for that kind of money.

7. AndyFL macrumors regular

Had the same experience locally -- our store closed last week actually. On the last day the remaining Mac hardware (couple MBs and MBPs) was about 50% off, but not "new in box" - either was a display model or had been taken out of the box to be on display (which meant it wasn't perfect). Still, never know what you'll find!

What's interesting is that this same store has already re-stocked and is scheduled to re-open, still as CompUSA, same employees, on Monday. [Only a handful of stores, mostly in FL, are actually re-opening] Curious to see if anything has changed....

8. danny_w macrumors 601

The local CompUSA has one Mac Pro (last gen) open box, all beat-up for 15% off. Great sale!

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Huh, the CompUSA near me doesn't have any Macs...maybe they're on the slow side.

10. AndyFL macrumors regular

LOL, exactly. There was a TON of (misc) stuff not in boxes, missing pieces, clearly broken, etc etc -- still marked at MSRP. Then take the 10-20-30% (whatever it was at the time) off the price. What a deal! Managers' hands were tied though, they could not adjust any pricing even though they completely agreed that it's stupid to pay that much for something without a box and that possibly doesn't function! Apparently, they were under strict orders by the 'liquidation company.' The only remotely good deals were on the last few days when things were at least 70% off.....

11. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

I went to the one at 100 Oaks in Nashville yesterday and they had like two aisles of the leftovers going for 90% off. The old Mac software I saw was those Move to Mac gimmicks. Other that, it was all cheap, out of date stuff. Though I was able to dig deep in a pile and find an XM kit for my truck as well as a GPS system for a total of less than $60.

12. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

AndyFL: It's all true. Today's the last day for the CompUSA in New Orleans - Today's my last day working there.

The liquidation company pretty much locked the prices as they were in December (in our case), and only started taking small % off as we got closer to the end.

Managers weren't allowed to do anything, we told customers to talk to our Gordon Brothers rep, and we also told them that he would say "No deals/negotiations" (which he did), but we let the customers find out the hard way if they didn't believe us.

I was telling customers that it just isn't worth buying half the stuff that's left (unless 80-90% off, which it is today, *other than computers/laptops*) - most of our laptops are messed up, and I let customers know that as soon as they walk up to the area.

I don't want them wasting their money...there hasn't been an incentive to really sell since they took our commissions away in early January...why would we waste our time? Tell them the truth and let today go by quickly, please...

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Don't Trust COMPUSA pricing at all

First, Compusa (I know it's not the real compusa) it's just the liquidation company running the company now.

But anyways, the liquidation company sets the prices for all of Compusa's products. I was in New York and they jacked up most of the popular items by at least 10-20% and than put a (15% discount tag after increasing the prices).

I saw a NeatReceipts scanner (version 2....the current gen is Version 3). So I go up to the counter and say, how much does this cost? The guy told me it's 20% off of $220. I told him neatreceipts version 2.5 was selling forfor $199 MSRP from their website. Version 3 was selling for $229. Why did compusa jack up the MSRP to $220. He didn't care, so I just dropped it and left the store. Good thing I found a neatreceipts scanner at costco (along with a free travel case) for only $150 last week.

So whatever Mac Products they are selling are not worth it (at least the popular mac products). You can just better off buying refurbished products.

14. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yeah, CompUSA has some good deals. My dad just bought a MacBook for $825 new but last gen. I just wish they hadn't sold out of cinema displays. They only had the display models left after that, but if everything goes 80% off, I'd be tempted to buy a MB to go with my MP.