CompUSA pushing Applecare too hard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Beligerent, May 21, 2007.

1. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

Two days ago I bought a 17" iMac at Compusa. The sales guy wouldnt stop shoving Applecare down my throat. I said "No Thanks on the Applecare" 4 times then the guy goes and gets his boss who comes out and starts in on me too. I said NO again and said I would rather spend the money on RAM. They ignored my comment about wanting to buy Ram and continually pushed the applecare and even went so far to say that without having AppleCare opening the computer and installing RAM is voids the warranty.

Basically I had to threaten to walk out unless these two dropped the sales shove. It was awful. Anyone had one of these experiences?

-Norm

2. shecky Guest

shecky

not exactly, but i went mattress shopping recently and the guy would not let us leave; i finally had to tell him to stop being so pushy or i would happily go buy it somewhere else instead of coming back to see him when i was ready.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As CompUSA is going out of business, I can't find a lot of room in my heart to care. :)

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

You should have walked out if you felt they were providing poor customer service.

CompUSA is not the exclusive retailer of Apple Computers.

5. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Either way you look at it, it's poor business practice. If there is one thing I can't stand its pushy salesmen, if I really want to buy something, it'll sell itself. Listening to all their pushy BS will just cause me to have less interest in buying. That is why I shop at the Apple store, never any pressure. Besides the fact that I never liked the employees at CompUSA, at least the ones near me...horrible. :D

6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

You had to refuse it 4 times?
    I would have asked to speak to his manager at that point or asked someone else but it appears as though that would have been pointless. I certainly wouldn't have bought it there at that point, if I could hav avoided it.

Applecare is a good buy but is it not better to wait until after the initial warranty period?
    Enjoy your RAM. :)

7. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

I worked for Comp for like a year and a half, the reason why they push apple care is there is alot of margin on it and salesmen on the floor only make alittle bit off selling a apple product if apple care is on there. Like a 1399 imac, Compusa buys the iMac for like 1249 from Apple they make hardly any money on the deal. When i worked there i didnt care i loved selling apple products and iw ould sell them left and right no matter what i didnt care. I was happy people were walking out with a mac. If you are a student though they wont knock off any of the price of the Mac unless you buy apple care then you pretty much get the apple care for free