CompUSA question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GrimmPenguin, Jul 30, 2007.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

There's a possibility that when I buy my MacBook, I will buy it at CompUSA instead of the online Apple Store.
    I was wondering if CompUSA sells Macs "pre-customized". I plan to get the 200GB upgrade for my MacBook when I purchase it. If they don't carry them at CompUSA, I will just buy at Apple's Online Store. The nearest CompUSA is two hours away, and I don't want to waste gas/money/time to find out. I figured someone on here would know.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

while i've never seen a bto apple machine at a compusa, i would suggest you get whichever macbook you want plus the 200 gb internal on the side. it might still work out cheaper for you. plus, you get to have two drives.

3. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

I bought my macbook at CompUsa around 5 months ago and from what I can remember..they dont do "pre-customized" Macbooks.

Your best bet would be to call the store and ask.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Didn't CompUSA just close a lot of those retail stores? I don't know how long they will be around but I guess you still get Apple support.

Sometimes Apple is more willing to take back (replace defective) equipment if you bought it directly from them.

Cheers,

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can't get a refund on build-to-order macs. another reason to get the 200 gb internal drive on the side.

6. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

It's doubtful that they will sell a customized Mac. Can't you just call them though and ask instead of driving two hours?

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Really, I've seen folks talk about serious issues with their Macs and with enough complaining Apple has given in a replaced the unit. Oh, wait you said refund. Hmmm, depending on how mand times you had to send it back, they would probably bend on that as well.

Just not sure how likely that would be if you didn't buy it from Apple.

Cheers,

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Can get on the net to post a question but not make a phone call that is just as easy!?;)

Call the store because they'll know the answer for the sure.

9. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

So you are saying if I order a BTO MacBook online from Apple, I can't get a refund? That sounds reasonable. But chances are I won't be refunding this computer unless it's DOA or something like then. Then they better refund it!

10. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure about the CompUSA issue. But they are the only authorized store I know of in AR that sells Mac Computers. There aren't even any Apple Stores here... Oh well, I may just order online.

11. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

It would be, but my mother will be buying it in her name. And she is a teacher, so I will be able to get a discount from Apple. With the HD upgrade and the AGP adapter, it is only going to run around $1,475(taxes included)

12. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll just buy from Apple. Thanks for the help and information!