Compusa USB Fax Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Richdmoore, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Hello, I purchased a USB fax modem from Compusa today (closeout sale, no returns) and I cannot get it to work with my macbook. I checked with the company thad made it www.fmisupport.com, and they only have windows drivers, not macintosh.

I am guessing there is nothing I can do, but I thought I would check here and see if anyone knows of some generic drivers for this I can install. (I am looking to send faxes only, I don't need the mac to use the modem part of the usb faxmodem.) I am currently running tiger, but am going to install leopard in a couple of days.

I would imagine that this will still work with bootcamp anyway, I could switch to windows on the rare event I needed to send a fax, although I would have to find some fax software for windows, and it would be a hastle.
    At worse I guess I'm only out $10 anyway.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Modem drivers are something of a black art. They are not binary files. They are ASCII text that associate certain command strings with the modem's settings. MacOS X uses the Open Transport modem drivers from System 7.5 through MacOS 9. Modem drivers tend to be application specific, but one OT driver works across all OT-compatible apps. Many modems are advertised as "Hayes-compatible." In the absence of better information, try the Hayes driver that closest matches your modem's protocol and speed.

3. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Actually, I have no interest in getting the modem portion to work, only the fax part. I know os x is able to use the apple fax modem, I haven't been able to figure out how to make it use the compusa fax modem however.

I am not using any software except for the built in functions of OS X Leopard.

I plugged it into the usb port, and tried to add it under the system preferences, print & fax, add, fax, but it doesn't see the faxmodem at all. I assume that is because it needs a compatible USB driver (which compusa does not make.)

Over all, it's not a big thing, I was just hoping to be able to send faxes from the machine the couple of times a year I can't just email a pdf file. I was thinking, and I think maybe I can use parallels to make the fax work within a windows environment, maybe I'll try and figure that out as a work around.

At worse I'm only out $10, so it's not like I paid much even if I can't get it working.