Computer/Browsing habits changed forever? Novelty Wearing off?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nightfly13, Apr 28, 2010.

?

Describe your iPad vs Mac/PC usage pattern.

1. Use my iPad constantly, only use my Mac/PC for iTunes syncing.

24 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Still use my Mac/PC for heavy lifting and certain tasks, but iPad for nearly all recreational use.

80 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. After my initial excitement, now I mainly use iPad for occasional couch browsing and/or traveling.

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. My iPad usage is gradually increasing (over Mac/PC usage).

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. My Mac/PC usage is gradually increasing.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. I use both iPad and Mac/PC about equally.

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. I don’t have an iPad, but I want one and think I’d use it all the time.

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Pffft! Mouse and keyboard for me, I neither have nor want an iPad.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. This pollster sucks (see comments).

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

A month into the age of the iPad, I'm wondering if the 'never touch my MBP' phenomena has worn off or how many of you really have shifted the bulk of your computer time to the iPad.

2. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I've definitely shifted the bulk of my internet surfing to the iPad (which made up about 80% of my iMac use). For me, it has definitely changed the dynamic in my house.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I still far more enjoy surfing on the iPad. Not only is it more enjoyable to use, but I can use it in more places/positions.

4. MrAgileBeast macrumors regular

For school, I never take my mbp.

At home, if I'm not docking school work, the browsing is done on my iPad.

If I'm doing school work, I'm using the internet and pages whatever it is I'm using.

Basically usage between both gadgets is

75/25 iPad/MacBook pro.

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Only while in bed, which is about an hour in the morning and an hour at night. I still find my desktop faster to use for the things I do online...mostly forums, posting pictures, things like that.

6. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Haven't touched my Macbook since April 3rd :(
    I do have an iMac that I use for work but everything else is done on the iPad.

7. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I will promote remoting into the desktop for heavy lifting using the iPad until all of YOU are blue in the face. :D

9. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Sometimes I manage my bandwidth (pause and resume downloads) on my desktop from my MBP. Is that the kind of 'remoting' you mean from the iPad? Does the touch interface work pretty well to move the mouse and click and.... type?

10. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I see votes for the last option (this pollster sucks) mounting, yet I don't see any new comments... I know I asked for it putting up the option, but if there's a common usage pattern that I missed, I'd like to hear about it :)

11. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Still use my Mac/PC for heavy lifting and certain tasks, but iPad for nearly all recreational use.

12. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I use my iMac for Aperture and iTunes syncing and thats about it.

I'm also using my iPhone a lot less.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I use my MacBook still for printing (obviously) and word processing. Until the iPad's version for Pages steps up I'm not going to be able to do much on it unfortunately.

14. kepner macrumors 6502

iTeleport is a nice VNC client that handles mousing/keyboarding quite well.

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

yes. its more of moving the screen around and then tapping. some apps have different methods of remotely controlling the pointer.

in the app store search for 'remote desktop'

here is a thread on some of the apps: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=900457

16. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I got an ipppod touch yesterday to compliment my iPad and MacBook pro. I've noticed I'll use the MacBook when either I have to type up an essay or really take advantage of the Internet and want to open up like twenty tabs and surf everything quickly on my desk. The iPad has though been my main utility for the past month and love it. It's def. The easier of the devices to first grab in the morning and any other time. There are admittedly some things that the iPad just cant do amazingly well that my MacBook can and for that reason my MacBook still stays on.

Yesterday I got the iPod touch so I could have a third option and now on my desk have all three devices and when I'm heading out the door can grab whichever one us best suited for the day, event and situation. A week ago as I was walking out the door figured I should get some school work done so grabbed the MacBook.

Two nights ago was gonna hang out with some friends so grabbed the iPad with some movies preloaded.

Last night I purchased the iPod touch and took that along with the iPad to my friends house. I like the iPod touch cause I can hook it up to my car for music and aside, it always feels good to be able to go on safari just in case.

I can't take my iPad to work but I am allowed to take my iPod touch and mess around with it if the store is slow...

...ion, we'll see, I've def. Spoiled myself with three devices but it should be interesting,,

17. jb32828 macrumors newbie

Then you have me, who wishes I could use my mac to work on development projects but my wife and kids are constantly using it. My wife has a windows laptop that she refuses to use now. I made the mistake of showing her how to right click and use the mighty mouse and how to use iphoto. Now i cant ever get time on the imac to do work.

18. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Novelty gone, but still use my iPad 80%

The novelty has certainly started to wear off for me. That being said, I use the iPad for probably about 80% of the time. I woke up my macbook for the first time in a couple weeks last night and that was only to print off a document that I had saved on it. There are a few tasks that I prefer to do on either of my macs, such as online shopping and online bill paying, but that is mainly due to the fact that I can print the receipt page to PDF and save it, which I cant do on the iPad (I've tried screen shots, and they are ok, but not prefered).

19. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Novelty is wearing off somewhat. My main problem is I have to have Quicken to pay my bills and balance my checkbook. If I could find an iPad or even a comparable web solution, I'd be a whole lot less dependent upon my Mac. But until then I'm pretty much dependent on keeping access to it. Plus there are some websites that I use regularly that require Flash. I've tried to make do without them, but I find myself just wandering over to Mac to view them. For example our local newspaper is Flash based. I would love to go 100% iPad, but it just isn't there quite yet. Maybe some day. In the meantime I use both.

20. kultschar macrumors 6502a

The "wow" novelty wore off for me until I got hooked on that Golf game this morning, made me say WOW (and Bruce Lee game)

Regarding the wow factor disappearing, my imac and Macbook Air are not getting used at all and the iPhone has become just A PHONE!!

I actually just upgraded to a 64GB model and passing on the 32GB to the mrs!!

21. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Why don't people register?

The difference between hits and votes is astonishing. Don't people realize that registration is free and easy? This poll has options for everyone, I want to encourage some of you guys to register and actually join the community, rather than just reading about it. I did the same thing with IMDB after years of just using the site, I finally registered and started voting on movie ratings, giving a bit back :)

Anyway, wow 70 out of 88 votes are pretty well converted to the iPad whenever possible (top two options). I realize this is a small sample, but the device really must be revolutionary, if not 'magical' :)

I'll think through a new poll to determine what kind of user goes whole hog iPad and leaves Mac/PCs behind, the power user, the iPhone user, the non-geek, to see if there's a pattern.

22. Mach1.8 macrumors member

OK, fine. You win :)

23. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

It hasn't actually been a month yet, but I use my iPad much more than my MBP. I only use my MBP for heavy tasks.

24. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I use my iPad for email and forum participation and web surfing.... I still need to fire up a "real" computer, one of my Macs, for doing digital image processing, banking, lengthy documents which need to be printed out, etc. My iPad has stolen a lot of the tasks my MBA used to handle. I am now in the process of re-evaluating how I use each of my computers and how frequently.....

25. fobfob macrumors 6502

Start a new poll: "Do you vote in forum polls?"
    a) yes
    b) no