Computer consistently freezes within 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MCabZ, May 13, 2013.

1. MCabZ, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

MCabZ macrumors newbie

MCabZ

Trying to resuscitate an iBook G4. When connected directly to AC with battery removed, the computer freezes within 10 minutes. Consistently. Dead battery was removed in order to eliminate that it could be a factor.The HDD has been verified and permissions are OK. I suspect RAM failure and have tried running Rember to test the RAM. Computer freezes before the test is able to complete. Doesn't matter what if anything is being done on the computer, it freezes. No connection to internet or to any device. Logically, testing with another RAM card would be a good test. Unfortunately, I do not have available a DDR RAM to test without having to purchase one first. :(
    ¿ any clues would be appreciated ? TIA

iBook G4 A1055
    OSX Tiger 10.4.2

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

What size/speed DDR RAM do you need? Somebody might be willing to "donate" one since it's such an old part. You also might be able to get the part pretty cheap at Frys or Microcenter (if they even still have it). :eek:

I once had an Intel Macbook freeze every 10 seconds. I took it to the Apple store and they plugged it in and booted it from a known good OS image over their network. It worked fine. It turned out to be a bad SSD. When a computer boots up fine and freezes later, I tend to suspect memory or HDD. But I should add you still can't rule out the system board. A bad system board would be very bad news on a "vintage" class machine as getting repairs could be difficult and expensive.

3. MCabZ, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

MCabZ thread starter macrumors newbie

MCabZ

r0k, thanks for the reply. The problem seemed like either RAM or HDD to me also. The HDD is old but I ran it through the repair option and checked permissions after a new install of OSX 10.4.2. It boots fine so I am more inclined to believe it is either a RAM module scenario or as you mention a system board issue. I will have to try and find someone with some old DDR RAM, whatever the memory or speed to eliminate the RAM factor. The RAM it has is 512MB PC2700 DDR. I live in Ibiza in Spain and the local options are slim. eBay has options of buying one for about $30 and I will have to spend an equivalent amount for a replacement battery, as well. Don't mind if it solves the Mac-Lazarus issue, but if it turns out to be the system board I will have to consider it a brick.
    Getting this project together for my 4 year old grandaughter. She's an ace on an iPhone, figure it's time to move her along to the next step. :)

4. MCabZ thread starter macrumors newbie

MCabZ

Resolved

Managed to buy a second hand RAM module on eBay for 25 cents. Problem solved with the replaced RAM.:)

5. bdrake47 macrumors regular