Computer Crashed-Will songs be lost from iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by markw10, Apr 28, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

A friend of mine using a Windows PC as well as a 5G iPod. Her laptop recently crashed so she had to reformat and start over from factory defaults. As well, she had many songs on her iPod but doesn't have a backup of any of these.
    If she hooks it up to her PC again once she installs iTunes will it wipe out everything on her iPod? She claims she had this happen to a friend once but I know there has to be some way around this.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Your friend is correct.

If you connect a full iPod to an empty iTunes, and sync, the iPod will then be empty.

What she needs to do is get some software to transfer the songs from the iPod to the PC. Off the top of my head, I can't think of them, but Google is your friend.

Remember, copy songs from iPod to PC first, then you can do an iTunes sync. But not before then -- unless you want to loose all of your music.

And to be on the safe side, once I transfered my music from the iPod to the PC, I would back it up before trying to sync just in case something doesn't work.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

when you plug in your iPod in the crashed and recently formatted(emptiy) computer itunes will ask you if you want to sync with the new iTune slibrary which is empty...make sure you click NO or cancel to this, or you will lose evryhting that is in your ipod, before you plug th eiPod in download a software that will take the music form your ipod and put it in your computer. If you have a pc the freeware iDump worked well for me in the past, if you have a mac then you should get Senuti it works amazing and it is also free... good luck....