Computer crashes and loses hard drive when iMac goes into sleep mode

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asauterChicago, Dec 21, 2009.

1. asauterChicago macrumors newbie

So I original posted this over in the OSX forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=837749

However, I figured I would post it over here because it seems to be more of a hardware issue with the iMac, since I've gone through two fresh installs and reformats of Leopard at this point. Here's the original posting and my follow up test. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the issue I'm having:

And my follow up posting later that day:

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Have you found any other solutions for this? My dad's iMac 24" (2 yrs old) does the same thing since a couple of days ago, sleep and when it wakes it's crashing and losing the hard drive.

I've already re-installed Leopard once the first time it happened, now the second time it happened I managed to boot it up.

It does sound like a hardware error since re-installing doesn't help, but I somehow thinks it has something to do with a recent software upgrade. Maybe upgrading to Snow Leopard can help?

3. waldo21 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am also having the same problem. It started happening for me on my iMac about a month ago.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Repair you permissions and check your HD for errors with Disk Utility. If there is no errors, it shouldn't be a software issue but to be sure about that, reinstall OS X. Moreover, in your energy saving settings, have you set the HD to go into sleep mode as well or have you just let them to run 24/7. You could try letting them run all the time (uncheck the box) and see if that helps

5. devianter macrumors member

any news ? just ordered a black caviar 1tb :X i hope i will not have the same issue

6. ADent macrumors 6502a

Another reason I gave up on sleep. It would work for awhile then something would change and crash often.

My mini only uses 20-25W, so not a huge deal to leave it running. I do set the screen to turn off.

7. Mr Bow macrumors newbie

Me too. Under 10.5 my mini sometimes wouldn't go to sleep automatically, tried all the usual things up to a full reinstall. Once upgraded to 10.6 it sometimes wouldn't wake up from an automatic sleep, tried all the usual things up to a full reinstall.

I gave up on automatic sleep and just sleep it manually at the end of each day. Zero issues with that.