Computer decisions..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luffx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. luffx macrumors regular

Since Steve doesn't care about power in the IMacs, and MacPros are way overpriced (even if you factor in the OS).... I guess I'm going to build a PC.

I still really enjoy Apple's design & OS, so I would like to have it around still. I prefer doing video/photo editing in Mac OS, but I need Windoze for gaming/programming. Any suggestions on what I should do?

I need to get a new computer very soon, but I don't want to drop the money on a new MBP or IMac, since there will most likely be a new Rev for Montevina this summer/fall. Also, idk if those are powerful enough for what I need to do.

Any1 have any experience with high-end gaming on bootcamp or VMWare Fusion?

I'm just trying to figure out my options.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As a point of interest, Mac Pros are not overpriced. They're actually cheaper than equivalent workstations from Dell. It's just that they're workstations, which use expensive processors and RAM. Apple simply doesn't make a typical desktop tower.

Define "high-end" gaming. You won't be playing Crysis with very high (or maybe even high) settings on a MacBook Pro, but you'll certainly be able to play it. Not in VMware Fusion though, that only supports up to DirectX 8.1. The MBPs are very capable machines. Of course, the iMacs are pretty much on par with them in terms of power, minus the graphics chipset at this point I suppose (though they'll likely be updated soon with similar components).

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

There might be a new iMac or MBP out in a few months but don't expect a huge gain in performance. Maybe a 10% speed bump but you never notice this. The advice is always "If you need a computer now buy a computer now. If you don't need a computer don't buy one."

I can see where Windows is beter for games but for programming? No way. For that Linux/UNIX offer thebest environment unless you are trying to sell your work to Windows users.

What yu need to do is get realistic about what you REALLY do with a computer. No way would you have time to do all that you wrote. Video editing alone takes hours and hours as does any kind or programming. If the computer is really a game console why not get a Sony PS3? if it used for software development Linux or UNIX works best. If you use Aperture or Final Cut you have no choise as that only runs on mac OS X.

So, figure out what you really use the computer for.

4. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

I think they're overpriced b/c I can build a machine w/ a 1066MHz Mobo , 2.4 Quad (overclocked to 2.8), 10K RPM Raptor drive, Nvidia 9600GT, 4GB of OCZ RAM, & Monitor/IO Devices for less than $1,200. (a bit more if I want Blu-Ray ROM).

This is waaay more powerful than an IMac & much cheaper than a MacPro.

As far as gaming goes, I will be playing Age of Conan on max settings. This is a DX10 game that will probably get pretty hardware intensive during raids and such encounters.

I wouldn't mind dropping the $$ on an Apple machine if it could handle my windows apps and mac apps. I just don't want to spend the $3,000+ it would take to configure a MacPro. So, I'm trying to find user's experiences with intensive apps on an MBP & IMac. If all else fails, I may just Hackintosh the built rig. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help! ^_^

Exactly. ;)

Most of my work as of late has been in Visual Studio for windows apps.

I'm a gaming elitist snob, so Consoles are out of question. Computer gaming if ftw. :D

That is good advice though. Maybe I am expecting to do too many things on the machine, that I probably won't have time for. Photography & small video editing is a hobby of mine. I can live w/o video, but Photography is a must. Gaming & windows programming is a must as well. :(

If I was confident in the MBP's ability to handle AoC, then i could Boot-Camp it. I will need a computer soon though for my Windows work, and I will cry if they do a redesign a few months afterwards. So I guess it's either buy a an MBP and hope it works well w/ the game & that I can resell it for the redesign......or build a PC.

5. MascisMan macrumors member

Then why are you even considering a Mac again?

6. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

I've been using a Mac for years for media/photo management, testing web sites, and simply because the OS is great. I'm @ a point where I really need a new Windows machine, but I would to have a machine that can do both.

I just need some guidance because I'm having decision making problems. :(

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

may I suggest trying to find a refurb mac pro, dual 2.6, upgrade the graphics card, may cost imbetween the top range imac and the new 2.8s

but if gaming is so important then it has to be pc.

8. stevegmu macrumors regular

You should just buy an AlienWare PC. If Mac Pros are too expensive for you, iMacs not powerful enough, and MB Pros not gaming rigs, there's no Mac which will satisfy you.

9. EB66 macrumors 6502

10. Say What?? macrumors member

Will the new montevina MBP be able to hand Spore? and also low to mid level gaming?

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sounds like you want a PC.

I really like the HP's.

If you want to do photo editing, I just tried out Adobe's Lightroom, and it was pretty good. You can run that on a Windows PC.

I've never gotten video editing to work properly on a PC. Maybe you can with the new Quad Core PC's.

Great for gaming too...

You won't be satisfied with a Mac.

12. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if I can't have a Mac, then I'm going to build a PC.

I can build a powerhouse PC for much cheaper than any store-bought brand. (much more powerful too). :D

I'll probably do this and just wait until the IMacs & MBPs are redesigned and get one then. (assuming they don't suck).

Lately I've had a hard time spending the money on an Apple computer when they use crappy obsolete hardware and don't even include Card Readers in their computers. I mean srsly, wtf? Apple is big on media and photography, so why don't the MBPs have one?

Until then, I guess it's Windoze & Linux for me. Might give Hackintosh a try though.

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Because Apple focuses on maximizing portability and minimizing weight and thickness?

This sounds like a typical troll. The only machines in Apple's lineup that use "obsolete" hardware are the iMac and the mini, BOTH of which are due for an update any day now. The rest of the lineup are all extremely current. :rolleyes:

14. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

MBP: No card readers? 2 USB ports? Default 5400RPM drive? Slowest burner ever?.... Keep in mind this is their high-end notebook.

You're kidding me, right? Apple uses crap for hardware. They don't understand the concept of future proofing. I mean, c'mon, how long has Apple been taking the hardware scraps from vendors that nobody else wants (main thing in mind were the last graphics cards).

This is not a troll. This is a multi-OS user who would like Apple to step up their game and cater to more than just the 'thin computer'.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not entirely true...

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

16. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

every MBP user @ my company has a USB expansion HUB & a card-reader (USB or slot). Quite a few have an external burner as well.

And this is a design/graphics company. It's a shame that they can't meet the needs of their targeted audience.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You're supposed to Think Different™. Much like the lack of res. options (save on the 17" MBP), if Apple deigned card readers and >2 usb ports worthy of addition to Their noble laptops, They would have added them already. :cool:

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What are you doing that you need over 2-3 USB peripherals plugged into your computer at once? This is curiosity, not someone being condescending.

19. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

hackintosh, dual boot vista and leopard. Its very easy to do as long as you choose hardware in advance that is fully compatible and doesnt take any fiddling with. And since you havent bought anything yet you are in a position to have full control over how compatible/easy it will be. Figure out all the different motherboards you would want, then search for them on insanelymac.com in the tutorials section, choose the motherboard that requires the least amount of work (if any) to get everything running and is the best value. OS X on a PC is just as good as on a real Mac if you have the right hardware, its just as fast (the fastest OS X machine on xbench's site is a hackintosh) and just as stable so theres nothing to worry about.

20. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

Most of them have 2 Externals (1 for temp storage, 1 for a scratch disk), Thumb drives (often exchange drives between each other), Smartphones, Drawing Tablet, keyboard, mouse, etc.

I really like that the Appe keyboards have USB ports, but most of my devices just give me a low power warning when hooked up to it.

I was hoping someone would suggest that. :D

I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for the support.