Computer desk cubby - opinions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bLiss, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bLiss macrumors member

bLiss

I'm looking to get a desk to go with my Power Mac, and I'm wondering whether or not a "cubby" is the way to go.

Something like this.

Has anyone had experience with this type of enclosure causing overheating? I fear that the trapped air might just counter the efforts of the computer's fan and cooling system.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I personally never liked them. I used one when I was very into computer gaming so I had an AMD gaming machine that was overclocked and ran hot. The enclosure only caused problems for me.
    However, they now make desks a lot like that but open on one side so you can have a nice home for your box but not close it in.

3. AzMacNoob macrumors newbie

Most desks are made to fit or hold an average size box, the MacPro is not average in size. Being very deep your desk has to be just as deep to hold it and the cubby has to be pretty tall too. That aside, I did have my MacPro in a cubby for about a week and took it out and placed it on the MacPro box next to the desk.

The computer did run very hot and with the desk set the way it was it only acted as a vent for the heat..... a vent pointed back at my legs. Living in Phx and a hairdryer effect on my legs just was not comfortable at all. I'm still considering making a cardboard vent system to take the heat straight to the AC intake vent.

Anyway, I'd say don't put your MacPro in your cubby and when you do get it, be sure the first app you put in is smcFanControl, that thing has been a great help in managing the heat.