Computer desk

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jondunford, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

My desk recently broke and I am looking for some ideas for a new one

I would like to know if anyone owns a desk and they are especially happy with how it goes with their Apple equipment

Or knows of a good desk that covers most of the following:

- colours: black / silver / white / glass
    - matches the brushed aluminium of many Apple products
    - sitting desk, I'm not sold on the stand-up nonsense

Thanks

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Here's some.

https://www.google.com/search?q=desks+for+macs+images&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BsqgUsLBA7HwiQLDyICoBA&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1419&bih=1255#imgdii=_

3. haravikk macrumors 65816

I thought the same but I do think there is something to it; if you are using your desk in a normal setup then integrating a standing desk is pretty easy as you can just get a higher than normal office type chair so you can still sit at it if you want to (just don't swing back too much ;)).

4. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

I built myself a desk in my basement 30 years ago. It's 12' long and 30" wide. It has three seat positions. I've often had two computers on it at once, but right now it only has my Mac Pro. The first computer to occupy it was a Radio Shack TRS-80. That was followed by a DEC VT-180. That was followed by a Fat Mac and a series of larger and faster Macs ever since.

I've got a permanent 12' long power strip above mounted to the wall behind the desk and 8" above the desk top with a plug every 1'. The strip is wired to its own 20 Amp breaker. There are two surge protectors plugged in to the strip to protect most of my peripherals and a UPS for my Mac.

I built it and installed it myself over about 4 weeks. I expect it will last me until I die or move. :)

You might want to consider building your own desk. The simplest approach is a piece of 3/4" particle board supported by two half size file cabinets. I built my own pedestals and put a formica top on the particle board. The nice thing about building it yourself is that you can size it to your own needs and space. Extra length can be really useful. I'm happy with my 30" width, but occasionally I think I should have gone with 36". My desk height is only 26" which make working with a keyboard and mouse much easier. That means there is no room for a drawer in the knee hole, but I've got enough drawers to fit my needs in the four pedestals. Again, I designed it for what I would be doing.