Computer Desks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josh Kahane, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

So I am thinking I already have 2 displays, iMac and extra one, and Im thinking of soon getting a big 30" monitor or something for my photography work.

I need a bigger desk. My current one is to small for two monitors as it is. If anyone knows of any really good desks which can happily hold my iMac and 30" display or good places to buy from please do say, or have a good solution for have my 20" iMac and a 30" display somewhere. Thanks.

2. Commonmind macrumors member

Quite a few people swear by Ikea's offerings. Myself, I have several desks in the house that I picked up from common office department stores which I love. My suggestion is pretty cliche, in that I would tell you to go down to your local stores and try a few on for size. That's the absolute best way to pick a desk you're comfortable with.

After spending over a grand to buy a desk online, and buying one for around a hundred backs that I was happier with, because I got to sit in front of it in the store, I can tell you from experience this is the best way to go.

3. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

IKEA has probably the best looking selection of computer desks and tables. I'm personally a fan of the JERKER style desks.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

If your going to get a desk don't to ikea, you guys spend so much money on equipment and then you buy a cheap desk from ikea. I just don't understand, go to a real furniture store and get something that's made from wood, built well and something you can keep forever! Ikea is cheap and not built well.

5. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

ikea actually makes(d) good stuff. The desk I have from them is a tank and had great expandability. Sadly though it looks like they don't make it anymore. The closest comparison is the Fredrik workstation but looking at that it does look cheap.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I mean a "real" Desk something like this: Awesome Desk

7. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Hi Josh,

I'm in the exact same position as you. I currently have on my desk a 22" HD TV for my HP Pavilion. I then have my MacBook on the front then another 15" monitor on a raise. I also have my dock and camera, mouse and mat too. I have another laptop and cannot fit it on. It has to sit on a bedside table.

I'm going to buy a new desk from either IKEA, Staples or PCWorld.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

9. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

Since you live like me in the UK i've found 2 identical desks both made by the same company that are great (Argos and Homebase, yeah i know not exactly known for their reputation, but i promise both desks are great) its made from tinted glass and looks amazing, plus is easily big enough for 2 x 30" screens.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6191054/Trail/searchtext>GLASS+DESK.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6190873/Trail/searchtext>GLASS+DESK.htm

have both desks and both amazing :apple::)

10. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I really do like the first link you shown me, I am tempted to go out and buy that when I sell a few things on eBay of mine. With out a doubt, I'll get that by the end of March.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ikea is nice, but I never had anything from them last more than a year and I am easy with stuff also

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. mac-mania macrumors member

I have an Ikea Jerker(sp?) desk and have had it for actually about 5 years now. Its the single most useful thing I have ever bought from Ikea.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely; nothing beats a well-crafted, classic, yet elegant wooden desk.

Cheers and good luck

15. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I have two IKEA desks and like them both a lot. One is a metal frame with a glass top and I love it, and the metal frames came in multiple colors (white, grey, a bronz-y color, and black) and then glass came in blue, green, and red outer hues. The second desk is a standard birch desk with a hutch on top (Galant series I'm pretty sure) and love them both.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hum poor site design. I hope this is not how they produce their products.

Attached Files:

17. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I agree with the sentiment, get a good table that will last, but it doesn't have to be wood! I went and got one of these:

http://www.studiorta.com/catalog/list.cfm?category_id=9

That sucker cost about $500, not that expensive but also not that cheap, can't confuse it with the version that costs much less (and uses flimsy glass in comparison).

Those kind hold 80lbs on the table and 60lbs on the corner (if one uses it) - totally worth it.

Back to the point - I've had mine for about 6 years, it's still under warranty for 4 more years, and I think those tables will be fine. Granted, the keyboard shelf was silly (I put it in the closet, lol).

Don't bother with "computer desks" - they never provide enough leg room or anything practical. >_>

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It doesn't have to be wood but wood is much stronger than glass. Even $500 is fairly cheap for a desk a wood desk anyways.

19. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

I got mine from Staples a couple of years ago. It's huge (though currently completely covered in nursing textbooks) and has a couple of drawers and a cupboard too so I can hide my rubbish. Can't remember the price, but it wasn't much more than the Argos ones.

I do like the look of the glass one though.

20. iJamesPine macrumors newbie

iJamesPine

Desk

I bought my desk from Ikea. :) £70

Attached Files:

21. iGEORGIAban, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

iGEORGIAban macrumors newbie

SICK set up. that is how i am building my set up.

22. JohnFranklin macrumors newbie

JohnFranklin

Glass desks are just as sturdy as traditional wooden desks. Typically glass computer desks are constructed from several pieces of frosted or clear glass (depending on the design) and are supported by metal. Most also have some sort of cable management system, allowing computer wires to be neatly concealed from view. However one of the major disadvantages of glass desks is that they are very vulnerable to finger marks. This can mean a lot of time spent cleaning the desk, although more expensive models will include some kind of coating that minimizes these marks. But this is a minor inconvenience, especially with a little Windex. A glass computer desk can be a fun spice to an otherwise drab office.