computer didnt sleep...overheated in case...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ayee007, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ayee007 macrumors member

hey guys, so i closed my macbook and put it in my incase sleeve and into my backpack. normally as soon as i close it, it goes into sleep mode. this time i took my computer out of the incase sleeve and its HOT AS HELL. i open it and it doesnt turn on. i keep holding the on off button and it doesnt reset. i leave it be for a little while, then press the on button...it turns on. my computer seems fine now, but should i be worried about the fact that it may have overheated?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You shouldn't be worried it overheated, there's an automatic cut off after a certain temperature is reached.

I'd be more worried that it didn't go to sleep. Do you have anything like insomniac installed?

Ps. I've had my laptop overheat in my laptop case once before, actually left small burn marks on the inside of the padding, still, probably not much to worry about, I'm still using the machine and it's 2 years old now.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a pattern. Overheating once shouldn't hurt things. If it gets hot enough, the CPU will protect itself and force the entire machine to power down.

If it does become a common occurrence, then I'd call Apple. Not to complain about the overheating itself, but because it didn't go to sleep.

4. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

no i have nothing installed on my computer that would effect sleep mode. this is the first time this has happened. all other times, it sleeps. do you think i should manually sleep the computer before closing it each time just to be safe?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't. I'd just keep an eye out and see if it happens again. If you start manually sleeping it, you'll never figure out if there is a problem with the automatic sleep or not.

6. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tips! i think i will just shut my computer down before i put it in the case for transportation. nothing wrong with shutting it down beforehand right!? shutting down frequently wont harm?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'd go for the manual sleep or shutdown. Even if the overheating doesn't hurt the processor, the hard drive can easily get damaged by moving the laptop while it is active.