Computer Engineering Student: What gear to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dingdongbubble, Jun 13, 2009.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone.

So I am going off to university soon if everything goes well. Now I am thinking about getting a laptop. I have heard its very useful at university. So what should I get? Macbook Air or White Macbook? I wont be gaming and stuff so I think the horsepower of the Air should be enough. I doubt I will be taxing it but I do like my compute to be snappy. :D So is the light weight and thinness of the Air worth it (despite the higher price and slightly slower components)?

Secondly I am thinking of changing my phone. I got a Nokia E61 right now. So lets say if I get the iPod Touch for free from the Apple Store for buying the Macbook, should I change my phone. It running ok, though it is slow and an upgrade would be nice (but not absolutely necessary). I dont want to waste too much money. I think the iPod Touch plus E61 combo should be ok for the time being.

But lets say I decide I do need to get a new phone, which one should I get, iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S? 8 GB should be more than enough for me (probably) and I dont know if the extra speed of the 3G S will help or not. I will prolly have very basic usage of the internet on the cellular network and instead mostly use wifi.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

white macbook and ipod touch

seriously, the iphone is kinda expensive per month. as cool as it is, i wont be getting another one

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

4. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmm yeah I dont use my phone much except for emails and some very basic web browsing and stuff. So I think the iPod touch could do all that for me while the phone would be for calls and a back up thing for emails.

Nah too expensive. Why in the world would I need a 2.5 ghz processor? :confused:

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I like how you want to buy an Air, but you say the MBP is too expensive.
    I'm a computer engineering student and the MBP (15") is perfect for what I need. As a computer engineering student, you will need to frequently run some intensive programs, so a faster computer is a must.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

negative

a mb will be way sufficient for his needs

7. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

wooops dang, the Air is as expensive. :mad: hmmmm So lets say I dont like 15" laptops is the expensive price of the Air going to be worth it or as a computer engineering student I might as well just go for the cheaper and slightly more powerful whitebook?

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Go for the base unibody 13" Macbook (Pro), it should fit all your needs perfectly.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would lean towards a macbook with an optical drive - useful for installing stuff, especially ifyou need to use windows.

10. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmm yes I think the Macbook would be best. But dont you think it could get a little heavy? ahhh I guess it should be manageable.

And why do you think the Unibody silver one is better? I was leaning towards the white one for its cost and classic design (which for some reason I prefer).

And for the iPhone do you think its better to stay away and just stick with the iPod Touch if I get that?

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

macbook air or white macbook?

why that range?

you know MBP's are right in the middle somewhere right?

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

heavy? i want the heaviest laptop so i can show off my muscles lol

but seriously, the weight is not an issue for me as its like not a big difference between the two for me

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

As far as laptops go, the white MacBook is very lightweight. IMO, between the performance and price difference, I wouldn't even consider a MacBook Air for even a moment - for me, it brings absolutely nothing to the table that a MacBook can't do (it actually does less), and costs more. Makes no sense to me, but to each his own.

I think a MacBook Pro would be a fantastic choice for a college student, but if you're concerned at all with price the MacBook will work just fine for your needs.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol I LOVE how people recommend a pro machine for college use

proves that pro is just a moniker after all lol

15. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The Unibody is thinner, lighter, more durable and more beautiful than the plastic, and the display is far superior. Trust me, you'll notice and appreciate the difference (especially in person). If you go macbook, spend the bit more and get the unibody version.

As for weight, I own a last generation (non-unibody) Macbook Pro, which is heavier than the macbooks, and I've noticed no problems carrying it to and from school, taking it out in class etc... My sister's base unibody macbook is even better, I think it's the perfect size.

The iTouch is the way to go as well, get one free with your macbook purchase, and you should be a happy camper!

But remember don't be tempted to go with the higher level 13" MBP, the base will do you perfectly fine and the differences are minimal.

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

i bought a MBP for college. I am in art school for interactive media design, so i figured the extra power would come in handy, plus would future proof me for a while. As what people say, get what you can afford. There were students in some of my classes that had black macbooks and white MBs, so i know they are powerful enough to get most things done.