Computer EXTREMELY slow after download

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roxxtar, Oct 3, 2008.

1. roxxtar macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this isn't in the right forum. :)

I have a Macbook Pro running Leopard. Last night I downloaded a large number of fonts (all free legal fonts, fyi :) ), although while it was downloading I was unsure of exactly how many I was downloading. When all was said and done it turned out there were about 30,000 fonts in the package. Although it was more than I was expecting, it was under a gig in file size so I didn't see any issues installing them. I installed all of them but last night had no issues. I turned off my computer when I went to sleep.

This morning I went to turn my computer on and found it to be EXTREMELY slow. It took 20 minutes for it to even turn on in the first place, it took 20 minutes to open the finder and its taken an hour for the library folder to open and I STILL can't get into it. Obviously the solution is to delete the fonts, but I can't do that if I can't get into the font folder.

Is there a way to delete things in "safe mode" or something? Because obviously I can't do it through the standard display.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think a safe boot might eliminate those fonts from the boot, might check.

Will be a slow boot, and not everything works, but might get you around with a GUI -- and the font app might also work.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If Safe Boot doesn't work I'd just delete some fonts via Terminal.

4. roxxtar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm trying to start it in safe mode now. It's taking a long time but at least it's going into it.

I'm worried that even terminal won't open if I boot it up normally. If it had issues opening finder I'd assume I'd have issues opening terminal.

EDIT: Phew, I can access my fonts in safe mode. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks!

5. roxxtar thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry to bump this up again, but I'm kind of freaking out now.

So safe mode was working well, I managed to delete about 2000 fonts. Then, while I was dragging a bunch of fonts from the folder to the trash the computer hiccuped and froze up, and I think dropped a ton of them onto the desktop.

Now safe mode loads up, but I get the "whirly wheel of death" every time the desktop starts loading.

I feel like such an idiot right now, I really have no idea what to do.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you know your way around Terminal it might be time for Single User mode.

7. nos macrumors member

You should have used a fontmanager instead of installing the whole bunch.

Your system is in trouble now because OS X depends on a few fonts.

8. roxxtar thread starter macrumors newbie

I made sure to safely quarantine the important fonts in a folder before I deleted the extra ones. Of course I can't delete those unless I can get them off my desktop.

I managed to log into safe mode as another user, but I don't know where to go from here.

I've only used Terminal a couple of times, I suppose google could help me though?[/quote]

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The ones on the desktop are just clutter ...

Did you install them in the user's font folder, or the system font folder?

If you have another user working, and they are system level, just keep deleting them with the working user.