Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
All,
I have just started my position as the clergy person for a small church in Alabama. There is not currently a working computer for me. I would love to get a mac for work and was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that sell mac's to non-profits for a discounted rate. I would be very happy with a refurb or older model, we just don't have lots of extra money for a full priced mac. Suggestions?
Thanks.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Apple do have a refurb store you could try.

I'm not sure about companies that will give discounts to non-profit organizations though.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I suggest putting out the word to church members that you are looking for a computer. People who upgrade their home computer may donate their old one. In fact, people might take the opportunity to do an upgrade in order to help the church by donating their current one.

Like you, I prefer Macs. You could mention in your appeal that you are looking for a Mac, but does the platform really matter for what you'll be using it for?

npep

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
Andrewsfish...I am a Pastor as well and am getting ready to make the switch. Before you take the leap, consider te follwoing questions:
-What will you be using the computer for? I needed the ability to create some videos, photos and other edited media for our church and really felt the make was the way to go.
-Will the Mac be compatible with what the church currtly has? I think this would be yes, but you might want to double check. Our church has licenses for Office for windows, but not for mac, everyone else is on a PC...I am still doing it!
-What other software/accessories will you have to purchase? How much more of an expenses will this be?
-As for the best deal, I would definitaly put it out there for before the church with your reasons why it will be an asset to the church...couple things to consider:
Will this be your computer or the church's?
If it is an older congregation, do they understand how important a computer can be?
How can you use this computer to enhance your ministry?

I am using my "student discount" since I am currenlty enrolled Liberty Univ., I have found nothing in terms of "deals" when it comes to churches.

Enjoy the church and your ministry!
npep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.