Computer for Motion 5 and After Effects

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Man9z0r, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Man9z0r macrumors regular

Man9z0r

I am getting pretty deep into using Motion 5 and After Effects and my 2011 MBP 13" is not able to keep up. It actually lags pretty bad. What would you recommend for a machine to handle this?

I am really open to anything. Just over this lagging. Would be willing to get a desktop and just keep the laptop for small edits and the like or could upgrade my laptop if the others will work better.

I have been looking at the 15 or 17 inch MBP's but I am not sure if they will even be great for all of that video creating / editing because they are still laptops.

What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I would recommend building a powerhouse Hackintosh for around $1000, as the Mac Mini is too slow for what you are wanting and the Mac Pro is too expensive. Anything with the power of a mid range iMac or greater would be best.

3. Man9z0r thread starter macrumors regular

Man9z0r

Well I would do that but hackintosh's are not very reliable. Sometimes updates will make them crash! Although I am still thinking about it!

4. olivercado macrumors newbie

Key features you need are extra RAM (at least 8GB, but the more the better), Quad-Core i5 or i7 with dedicated video with at least 1GB and fast internal and external HD's (7200rpm or SSDs). Your MBP13 does not have dedicated video but its shared video processing with the main CPU processor thats why its very slow. Also, internal HD is only 5400rpm so when either APP is having to spool files it slows down processing as well. Video processing is a heavy resource task, so having an extra or external fast HD (Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt) as scratch/render disk and for data file storage is a must.

MacMall has a great deal on Quad-core i7 w dedicated 1GB video card ($1500, Off -$700). 8GB RAM has recently dropped in price so add that as well. Get an additional high quality Firewire800 external drive, preferably 2TB or more. G-Technology G-Drive or OWC Mercury Elite Pro. IMHO this would be the least $$$ and the most bang for your buck.

Getting a MacPro (even refurbished) and with everything you need will be ($3500-$5000 loaded). It will give you more growth and expandability but you will pay the price. If you wait a couple months, the new MacPro's are supposed to be released so the current models available will drop in price.

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Don't go with hackintosh, it just isn't as good as having a real Mac. I'd go with a fully loaded MBP 15" with antiglare screen or iMac 27" if portability isn't needed. The iMac's screen is glossy and if that isn't okay with you, get the Mac Pro or custom built-PC depending on your budget.

6. Man9z0r, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Man9z0r thread starter macrumors regular

Man9z0r

I think after looking at some benchmarks and stuff just getting the MBP 15 fully loaded or MBP 17 will work for the time being and then as I get more in depth with the programs I think I will invest in the MacPro. I would at least want to wait until the new ones are out with Thunderbolt.

Out of what I have been reading the 15" MBP will double my performance using Motion.

Is there any reason to get the 17 over the fully loaded 15 except for screen size? It is a pound heavier and I am planning on using it on an external monitor at home. What are your thoughts?

Kind of steering away from the Hackintosh. Don't really want to waste the time finding all the parts that are going to work and then have some update come out and totally crash my machine. :rolleyes: