Computer for music production

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adam303, Oct 24, 2012.

1. adam303, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

adam303 macrumors newbie

I anticipated that the new retina-macbook pro would come with at least a quad-core processor, but thats clearly not the case this time. I'm so :mad: because I've waited since april and got my hopes up for the june-event, then september and now this event. But I really need to get me a new desktop or mobile workstation now, mainly for music production, I don't really use anything power-sufficient except Logic + Vst's and illustrator.

The mac mini quad-core i7 with maxed out ram and 256 gb ssd seems pretty neat but I've never tried a mini so I've no idea how it handles big projects with a lot of third party vst. Would love a retina 15 or a mac pro but that's just to priset for me right now, and 15" is almost too big for a laptop. When I had my 2009 macbook pro 15" I never took it with me because of its weight and size. The only reason I'm considering a laptop is for university... Some say they really can't be without a laptop in school and some say they are fine with just iPad. Maybe considering a desktop and then a ipad mini.

Would love some advice from somebody working with audio or music production.

2. thbassplaya macrumors newbie

I have a early 2011 13" macbook pro. For audio production, I run Logic Pro 9, with Omnisphere, and Reason as plug ins. I now have 16 gigs of ram, but even before that it ran logic flawlessly. I commonly record 16 tracks simultaneously without a hiccup. The new mini's have even more processing power than my macbook pro, so they would do fine, but have you looked at the imac's? They would probably suit you just as well and are more portable than a mini, and monitor. My next computer will be a 27" imac.

3. adam303, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

adam303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, iMac is also considered. So the best choice would either be imac, mac mini or rmbp 15"?

4. adam303 thread starter macrumors newbie

The iMac support 32 gb ram, how bout the mini, only 16?

5. Liquidstate macrumors member

Re: Computer for music production

In my experience, the main capability issue for music production is not recording, it's mixing. That's when the use of plug-ins puts a heavy load on the computer. Obviously, knowing how to properly bus the plug-ins and resetting the sample rate helps, but the number and type of plug-ins can still put a significant load on the processors.

I'm using a completely maxed out iMac and facing the same issue. Plus I have legacy FW and S/PDIF gear I am definitely keeping. So even with the release of the new iMac and Mini, I can't figure out a practical upgrade route worthy of investment.

The iMac is obviously becoming more of a thin eye candy product, so I'm not confident that's a practical path.

I know someone will rightly advise to wait for the new Pro. Since Apple has delivered on their promises so far, hopefully the new releases should end the Pro is doomed posts (at least one can hope so). But 2013 is a long year, who knows when it will be launched. And a refurb Pro could end up as a waste of money.

I have "the Apple headache" now.

I'm mostly wondering if an i7 Mini would carry me through 2013, until the new Pro is launched. I would think an i7 Mini could handle it, but I've heard about heat issues when these little guys are put under constant processor loads.

Has anyone used one of these little guys for multi-track music mixing production?

6. adam303 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the spec and year of your iMac?

7. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Good and obvious questions. Looking at the early testing reports that came out it appears as if the $799 Mac Mini scores in the same realm as a 2-3 year old Mac Pro. And that is before extra memory and upgrading the drive(s). It's all pretty frustrating for people who want something that is not just pretty looking but actually delivers on the original Apple promise - especially for all artistic applications such as photography and music in my case.
    In any case, after almost giving up and building yet another stupid Win PC I'm leaning towards a tricked out Mac Mini. The extra benefits being designated FireWire, eas(ier) upgrade options and being free to select the screen(s) of your choice (important for photography).
    I don't know. But I see if I can try one out.

8. Liquidstate macrumors member

Re: What's the spec and year of your iMac?

Embarrassingly old, 2007 I think.

I'm having lunch today with my pro audio guy and I'm going to ask him about a Mini i7. I'm sure anything recent would be an improvement, but I'd like to make as smart of a purchase as possible. If I learn anything important, I'll report back.

9. adam303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would love that! Report back :rolleyes: