Computer Habits or Superstitions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by charlieegan3, Apr 8, 2012.

1. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Any things you know are silly but you do all the same.

e.g. obsessively emptying the trash/recycle bin
    or typing Google in to the search bar to get the Google homepage, and then carrying out your search.

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

A lot of people put waaaaay too much stock into Repair Permissions... so much so that I liken it to a superstition...

4. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

:)

----------

one thing I always check is that my computer hasn't remembered my password, that a bit of an obsessive habit.

5. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

guess maybe know one else is in a chatty mood:confused:

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I always turn my desktop off when not using it. Until we were an iphone/ipod touch/ipad family I always turned the router off at the wall when not in use to. Guess that will change when I have my 2012 iMac though.
    One of my new superstitions is to never buy Dell again. To many PC's to many issues.

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I always, always, always quit apps that don't quit automatically when I close them (like Calendar or Chrome or Word). For some reason I'm just really OCD about my dock and only have applications on it that I'm currently using (or that I want there for quick access). It's crazy!

8. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

mash cmd-Q, cmdQ!

probably because my mac is really slow and doesn't need all the extra apps running.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i always quit apps when i know i'm going to let my iMac go to sleep so a rogue app does't keep it awake and running. the good thing about the MBA is i don't have to worry about that when i close it.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

True...I see this all the time. I have never once run "repair permissions", and I use the crap out of my computer, and have been for over 10 years of OSX.

How many responses were you expecting within half an hour mid-day during a holiday weekend with beautiful weather covering most of the country (well, at least the US)???

As for me, I can't think of any particular habits, certainly not any superstitions. Nothing other than always keeping windows arranged a certain way, but that's more so keep my workflow moving.

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

I do everything possible by keyboard shortcut to avoid extensively using the trackpad (and external mice always seem more sluggish in OSX).

Command+Tab to toggle apps, Ctrl+Tab to cycle browser tabs or Command+Option and left/right arrows, Command+` to cycle browser windows, Space+Command for Finder search, Command+Up/Down to enter/exit folders, and so on.

Also since my work iMac has meh Lion and if you quit a program with docs open, when you resume they come back up, I find myself chronically hitting Command+W to close docs first before quitting - so much that I start doing this on my Leopard MacBook. Grr.

12. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

point taken. (he says as it pours with rain in sunny scotland...)

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

-Constantly emptying trash bin
    -Have Google toolbar installed yet still type in google in address bar
    -Keep telling web browser I don't want it to remember any passwords.....complain everytime I visit site and have to manually put login information in.
    -Desktop must be "clean". no random files or folder or anything can be on desktop at any given time.

14. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Superstition: On the 3rd Thursday of every 5th month, I delete 128 files at random.

Habit: I'll use mission control to switch between apps even if both are visible on my screen. It's faster to just click on the open app, but I'm so used to mission control (hot corner upper right) that I can't help myself.

15. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Haha, I do that all the time. That's the only dumb computer habit I can really think of, I'm terrible about emptying my trash can.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have gotten into this annoying habit of freeing my RAM, even though there are no adverse signs of using too much.

It's this dumb [sic] app that tells me how much free RAM I have... I stare at it all day and obsess over it.

:/

17. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

ha, yeah this one seems pretty common.

18. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

When I open iTunes, I have to scroll through all my music, movies, TV shows, apps, podcasts and books to get all the artwork loaded (I use grid view).

The download icon in safari has to go once the file's downloaded, and the download list cleared.

Trash must always be emptied.

My dashboard widgets all have to be equally spaced.

All my emails must be read/replied to/filed properly.

:|

19. Supermacguy macrumors regular

I'm the resident SuperMacGuy at work (but not in the IT dept). Usually when users have a problem and call me, when I go over to their computer, they can't replicate their problem. Sort of like mechanic's syndrome. But I like to think of it as my good-computer-karma field. I like Macs and they like me, so they behave when I'm around.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Habit: Slapping the side of the computer when it acts up.

Superstition: Waving a chicken foot over the computer and chanting.
    True story... back when I was a computer repair tech (back in the early 90's), people use to think what we did was black magic.:rolleyes: Well... I started carrying around a fake chicken foot in my tool kit when I did an on-site repair. After fixing the problem, I'd wave the chicken foot over the computer and chant some sort of gibberish. Most saw the humor in it.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Where the hell do you live?

----------

It gets under my skin when people do this, i just don't get that one.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You might want to try a repair permissions.

I try to type this once a day, so I'm done.

I always have Activity Monitor open and it really bothers me if my Green goes to less than half of the circle.

Also, I can't stand my temps going great that 50 or so degrees or my fans running faster than 3000 rpm.:eek:

23. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I keep my desktop completely clean. If I can't get to it through spotlight, I don't need to get to it.

24. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

25. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I don't disconnect my charger until I see the LED fading after I close my laptop.