Computer is 2' away from router but won't connect!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by icrude, Dec 23, 2016.

1. icrude macrumors regular

So I have an AirPort Extreme like 30 feet away. I am usin my older airport express in my office to extend the network. My mac is sitting here right in front of me, as is my coworkers, but when I check airport utility, they are both connected to the extreme which again is 30' away, not the express which is 2' away. Why is that?

2. ratpH1nk macrumors newbie

Is it an extended network or 2 separate networks? They aren't fighting each other with NAT and DHCP are they?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If the Express is only 2 feet away then it's probably better to be connected directly to the Extreme. Perhaps that is the reason!

4. icrude thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just used airport utility to create the extended network and didn't change any settings so I doubt they are fighting each other.

Why if the express is so close would it be better to be connected with the extreme?

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If the AE is getting about the same reception as the Mac then you're skipping the lag created by going through it. Sorta like a direct flight from Baltimore to Denver as compared to one that stops in Charlotte.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Isn't the Express wireless-n only? If the Extreme is ac, then I'm not surprised that the iMac connected to it.