Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icrude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
So I have an AirPort Extreme like 30 feet away. I am usin my older airport express in my office to extend the network. My mac is sitting here right in front of me, as is my coworkers, but when I check airport utility, they are both connected to the extreme which again is 30' away, not the express which is 2' away. Why is that?

ratpH1nk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
So I have an AirPort Extreme like 30 feet away. I am usin my older airport express in my office to extend the network. My mac is sitting here right in front of me, as is my coworkers, but when I check airport utility, they are both connected to the extreme which again is 30' away, not the express which is 2' away. Why is that?

Is it an extended network or 2 separate networks? They aren't fighting each other with NAT and DHCP are they?

icrude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Well I just used airport utility to create the extended network and didn't change any settings so I doubt they are fighting each other.

Why if the express is so close would it be better to be connected with the extreme?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Well I just used airport utility to create the extended network and didn't change any settings so I doubt they are fighting each other.

Why if the express is so close would it be better to be connected with the extreme?

If the AE is getting about the same reception as the Mac then you're skipping the lag created by going through it. Sorta like a direct flight from Baltimore to Denver as compared to one that stops in Charlotte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.