Computer lock on os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cardude280, Jun 22, 2007.

1. cardude280 macrumors member

I was wondering if there is anything like the winkey+L on os x that will lock the computer and keep all the applications running

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Click the lock -> Login Options -> Enable Fast user switching

In the Keyboard part of System Preferences (or with Sizzling Keys) you can add a shortcut :)

3. cardude280 thread starter macrumors member

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

There is also Utility Lock if you want to customise these things a bit further, i coded Utility Lock because i wanted win+L :p

5. cardude280 thread starter macrumors member

thats an awesome program thanks for making it

6. osirisX macrumors regular

You can also do this with a Quicksilver trigger. Make sure you have it set so that the screen locks when the screensaver comes on. In Quicksilver create a new trigger where you open ScreenSaverEngine. Then set the shortcut that you want.

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Surely the easiest way is to use the lock screen option in keychain? Or password protect the screen saver and activate the screensaver with a hot corner.

Attached Files:

8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Best option, IMO. I use it.

9. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

I agree its nice, but when you want something like a hotkey or something that doesnt block your alarm clock apps ;) you need something with a bit of flexibility.

But it all depends on your needs really

PS. My running Utility Lock sits at about 2-4mb after its been running for a while and doesnt bump up much even if it locks the screen, so i wouldnt say it wastes ram/cpu

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hot corner + screen saver + password on recover from screen saver is another good unobtrusive option, as long as you're not too mouse-klutzy! :eek:

11. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Except if you want it not to lock on sleep or something simple like that, or in my case i wanted lock on sleep but not screensaver ;)

12. cardude280 thread starter macrumors member

ok after using Utility lock for a while i can say its pretty much exactly what i was looking for but that the screen doesnt dim or go off when the computer locked and it worries me having my screen on like that for a long time

13. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

It should have its PMS running, could you open a support ticket on my site so i can help find the bug and fix it?

It was a major bug in < 1.0.2 but i fixed it... well from the reports and tests it seemed so

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Open Keychan Access, go to Preferences, and check the box that says Show Status In menu Bar. That'll give you a little lock in the menu bar which you can use to lock the screen. You'll also need to go to System Preferences > Security and check the box that says Require password to wake from screen saver.

15. kompuntu macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I just found your Utility Lock and so far it is the closest thing to what i was looking for. However, it is missing one of the most important features (at least for me) and that's a shortcut combination to get to the password entry screen when computer is locked!
    You know, sort of "Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to LogOn" thing...

The reason for this are my cats! The constantly step on the keyboard and they do sometimes manage to press Enter.
    So, if there was a key combo that needed to be pressed to get to the password entry screen - i'd be protected even more from various keyboard-related accidents (they've accidentally renamed my drives a bunch of times already and deleted a bunch of stuff!).
    Plus, it'd be a lot closer to the Windows' version of the screen lock...

Any way to get such a feature implemented?

Thanks in advance.

Sal.