computer needs to "warm up" for 10 minutes before loading the OS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by genericforumguy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. genericforumguy macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm genericforumguy. I recently acquired a Mac when I noticed my neighbor was selling a G5 iMac (PowerPC) for 10 dollars. I got OS X Tiger installed and everything seemed to be going normal except for one thing. When I first turn on the computer after a while of not using it the screen goes static and it's impossible to use. At first I can't even get past yaboot without it freezing. I noticed that after about 5 restarts I can load OS X but parts of the screen still flicker for a couple more minutes. If I boot up and leave the computer at the yaboot screen for 10 minutes and then restart everything works just fine.
    I have a feeling this is a faulty power supply but I wanted some other opinions before I go order a replacement. Thanks for reading!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Either that or a video card issue. Given your purchasing price...you are way in the black either way.

3. genericforumguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's another thing I noticed. I got rid of the dual-booting yaboot silliness recently and when I first turn on my computer it tries to boot os x (and it's still very static-looking) and it shows a message with a power output symbol (circle with the vertical line going partway through it) and says in a bunch of different languages "please turn off your computer now" (or, something to that effect).

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Like this?

[​IMG]

it's called a kernel panic.

5. genericforumguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for clarifying that. So would you say that that is more evidence for a rotten power supply?

6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I doubt it's the power supply. Try doing a FULL reinstall, by erasing your entire HDD and re-partitioning it.

Then again it could also be some bad hardware.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

It's most likely the bad capacitor problem that has plagued the iMac G5s. It will get worse. The fix is either to replace the logic board or to replace all the capacitors on the board and in the power supply.

8. genericforumguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Since I've gotten this computer I've done three complete formats and installs. I don't think it's a software issue.

9. genericforumguy thread starter macrumors newbie

chrfr has the right idea. I just took a look at it and noticed that 6 capacitors were blown. Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/x8KOR.jpg

I tried calling Apple today and when they asked for a serial number they said it didn't match up to the name they gave me. I told them I'm not the original owner and that I got it from a garage sale. Unfortunately, the mac store does not sell replacement parts. They have to put them in. Uggh this is going to be expensive, I wish I could do it myself.

10. genericforumguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Price quote for repairs: 400 dollars for logic board plus 100 per hour for installation.