Computer OS's

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, May 14, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Maybe I am ignorant but are there really any mainstream os's in the world outside of windows, osx, linux and maybe solaris for the desktop user?

are there any that arent like US based?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

take your pick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems. you could have a look at PC-BSD which you could call Mac OS X's cousin as they have the same BSD back end.

dont know if the others will even work on a Mac as the drivers are not existant, but you could try it on a PC.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

what i meant is, are any of those mainstream in other countries?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm sure MS-DOS is still popular in one or more of the -stans…

5. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

I guess it would depend on what you mean by "mainstream" but basically the answer is "not really." There are several flavors of UNIX outside of what you mentioned, but those aren't really mainstream outside of server environs for the most part.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Pffft. I can't speak for the others, but Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, it's Win2k/XP/03 mostly on laptops with the occasional rare 98 on a desktop machine. Generally.

In the bigger capital cities with lots of expats (Kabul, Islamabad, etc) you actually see a lot of glowing apple logos because a lot of people take their own personal computers. There's a guy in Kabul who sells/stocks some Apple stuff like batteries and power supplies at roughly 2-3x sticker price.

I wouldn't really count Solaris/SunOS as a mainstream desktop OS. Yeah, you can do it, but no one does. More people run *BSDs than Solaris.

I predict in about 5 posts, there will be some Brit hopping in with talk of RISCOS.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When I was a kid everyone and their dog (around here) had an Amiga with Workbench. Most of us still do they're just locked up in attics.