Computer Programming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjenkins505, Apr 28, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

Hi I know this is a little out of the ordinary, but do you guys know any great books for beginning computer programming?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Depends on the language.

"Programming and Problem Solving with C++" is nice for C++; it's what we used at my university.

3. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

Yah I want a book that is for newbs. I have never taken a class in it or read a book about it so it would have to be a beginners one.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What language are you looking to learn? There's scripting languages (Perl, TCL, etc) and then compiled languages (C, C++, ...). I guess the starting point is usually C, and the canonical book for learning C is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

'C for dummies' is pretty good
    http://www.amazon.com/C-Dummies-One-Two-Bundle/dp/1568849397
    the title may be a bit annoying but its really simple, with any code the only real way to learn it is to practise it over and over and over again, reading a book or sitting in a lesson wont magically put the code into your head.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Exactly! you can read all the books you want but until you start writing,compiling, and running code you won't really learn much. Also it helps to have a goal - what do you plan to use the knowledge for? Are you thinking of writing a new iPhone app? A new utility?

7. Olivier L. macrumors member