Computer recognizes iPhone 4 but it won't power on?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by beefwaffles, Dec 7, 2012.

1. beefwaffles macrumors newbie

About two weeks ago I dropped my iPhone 4 in the toilet for just a second. I immediately cleaned it off and put it in rice. Later I opened up the back to dry it off better. It still wouldn't power on.

I figured the warranty was already void since it fell in water, so I went ahead and got a replacement battery and changed the battery out. Now, the phone won't power on at all (and I've tried every variation of holding the home and power buttons I read about), and nothing happens when I plug it into a wall charger, but when I plug the phone into my computer, iTunes recognizes it, the phone makes the usual noise, and I have all the options from iTunes such as sync and restore, but the phone still won't power on!

I have hope that my phone isn't completely dead since it can interact with iTunes, but am at my wit's end trying to get this thing to turn on. If anyone has any ideas about which parts might be malfunctioning or what the specific problem is, I would appreciate it very much!

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

The phone is on. The ambient light sensor is damaged, or the LCD backlight has died.

3. GuardDogTech macrumors newbie

There is a backlight IC that tends to go out when a phone has received water damage too. That would require you to find a cell phone repair shop that offers solder repairs, and can re solder a new backlight IC. That is probably not the problem though, and you'll just have to replace the screen to get a new LCD. Replacing the LCD has been a lot more common of a solution for that problem then the actual backlight IC going out, but it happens. I fixed an 4th gen iPod with that problem a few days ago. If you need help finding someone send me a PM. Any other questions just ask here so we can find a solution for everyone. Thanks!