Computer redo- now how do I sync and not wipe out my iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OCP, Apr 19, 2009.

1. OCP macrumors newbie

I have a windows vista machine and have lost my default profile so I had to create a new one. Now starting iTunes it acts like it is the first time I have turned iTunes on. So I have a lot of thing on my iPhone 3g that I don't want to loose, but in order to sync and backup my phone, or change anything, it wants to sync to my "blank" iTunes.
    Can I sync, iTunes syncs to the iPhone, not the other way around?

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Do you have the 'iTunes' folder from your old user directory or a backup?

Not 100% sure where it's kept on Windows (under 'My Music', maybe?), but it would contain everything you need to get started again. Just put it under your new user directory in the same place and iTunes should find it. You'll have to setup some preferences and sync settings again, but it should find all your media.

If you don't have that, then you'll have to pull your media from the iPhone. There are apps to do this, I'm sure someone here could recommend one for Vista.

3. MRNextStep01 macrumors newbie

Pull Data off of iphone

all that you need to have a total commander and t-pot to pull the data off of the iphone. It will pull the data through the USB port.

4. vitasenza macrumors member

Depending on how your different info is set up to sync you might just loose your music. Pod to PC is a program that will let you save all of your music from the iphone to your computer.

If you still have all your desired music and apps on the computer as long as you sync only music and apps you shouldn't loose the contacts that are on your phone (I'm pretty sure anyway)

I put music on a friends phone a couple of days ago with my computer, because he was having problems with his. I pulled his music off of his phone with Pod to PC, put that in a playlist for him that already had the new music he wanted. When I selected to sync that playlist I got the warning that iTunes could not sync with my library without wiping what was on the phone. I continued the sync and when it was done, he still had all his contacts, sms chats and mail accounts.

So it shouldn't be a big deal.