Computer Salesperson at Best Buy (got hired)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sn00pie, Jul 16, 2008.

1. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I just got hired at Best Buy as a Computer Sales Representative!

I was wondering if anyone here has worked in a similiar position, and has any suggestions on how to be good at the job. I've heard lots of horror stories of people dealing with in-compotent Best Buy salespersons, so I want to try my best to be not like that.

I'll try my best to convert the world to Mac! :D

2. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Congratulations! Try not to spend all ur money in your place of employment, hahah.

Anyway, I think you'll be great. I mean, being on these forums and reading around means you're already a couple of steps ahead of most of the BB reps I've spoken with.
    I'm sure I don't have to talk to you about knowing your work. My only advice would be to smile and work hard. If you have a moment where you're not doing anything, see if theres anything more productive you can do.

A great attitude and a strong work ethic will really get you far in life.

Good luck!

3. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

you can be the most knowledgeable computer person there.
    all BB is going to care about is how many PSP's you attach to your sales.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Um, don't be incompetent? :D

In all seriousness, I think the best retail sales people (of any product) are those that are clearly interested in helping the customer leave the store satisfied. Make it clear you're there because you want to be helpful, not because you'll be fired if you don't. Smile, be friendly, and don't ignore anyone (if you're busy, still acknowledge them with a smile). Be real with the customers -- talk to them like you talk to your friends. And, if the customer DOESN'T want help, leave them alone! (But be nearby in case they change their mind...)

As much as you want to try to convert the world to Mac, be realistic... you'll become very annoying very quickly if you come across as too pushy (either towards Mac or Windows -- I've seen both). Don't be afraid to recommend a Windows machine if that's truly what best suits someone's needs. Don't be afraid to recommend another store or another brand, either. In today's world no single store has 100% of the answers, and I have always been appreciative of salespeople who acknowledge this and aren't afraid to say "Well, your best bet is to shop our competition."

If your store has live internet access, don't be afraid to say "I don't know the answer to that, but let's see if we can find out". You would be amazed at how many people don't seem to understand how to use Google, and you'll be a hero for quickly finding answers.

Good luck, and have fun!

5. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I work in an electrical store than sells everything from laptops, desktops, washing machines, to televisions.

The most important thing I can say is approach every single customer, preferably before anyone else does. If a customer walks by you initiate contact - "Hi there! Do you know what you are looking for today?" most customers will say what they are looking for which gives you an opportunity to take the customer over to what they are looking for and for you to get into a dialogue with them.

If customers look interested in something but you have already approached them, stand a few meters away or someone else will get the sale!

Also, 100% offer. Always offer accessories. If they are buying a printer - USB Cable, Ink and Paper. Laptop - bag, antivirus, printer, and so on :).

6. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

Couldn't agree more.

I don't mean to sound jaded or to ruin your perception of your new job, but the LAST thing on BB's list of priorities is helping customers make intelligent, informed decisions that best fit their needs. Your product knowledge is clearly second to your ability to fool customers in the eyes of BB.

If your store is anything like mine was, you'll be dealing with "managers" who have no idea how to manage anything but their own grossly inflated egos and demands by every superior in the store to trick customers into buying service plans to "hit numbers" so they get a bonus (The employees who do all of the actual work to drive those numbers receive nothing beyond MAYBE a pittance from 'Blue Crew Bucks' that rates performance on a district level. You could be the best individual salesperson or even the best individual store, but if your district sucks, no bonus for you!). As a fun time waster, try to determine how many of the masterminds in management actually know what the "Numbers" mean.

When I worked there (Home Theater) I was told by superiors to lie to customers about product availability because they were unwilling to purchase the service plan & to tell customers that their new DVD player came with no cables so they'd have to buy the outrageously overpriced alternatives. (In each case, I refused to listen to these titans of "management" and did what was best for the customer.)

Again, this was my own personal experience and your store may be much different, but the chances aren't too great based on what I've heard from other employees. I hope it is different and that you really do get to positively impact customers' experiences, just make sure you sell enough BS service plans to keep them off your back.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I worked there for 3.5 years while I was in college. Just graduated and kissed that hell-hole goodbye!!

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll give you the same advice I give the salespeople who work for me. Ask questions, listen, ask more questions, listen and again. Only then do you get to talk.

Also, if you don't know, say so. Don't make ***** up.

Good luck!!