computer science degree, which laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chukwithak, Sep 30, 2008.

1. chukwithak macrumors member

I'm planning on buying a MB or MBP for working on my computer science degree. Will the MB be capable of running everything I will be doing in my degree?

2. dean1012 macrumors regular

Yes

Yes, a MacBook will do everything you need in your degree.

I am a CS major myself a few years in. I just bought the lowest ($999) white macbook and it is perfect.

The mac side can handle note taking, web browsing, and general needs as well as *nix based programming with C, C++, perl, etc...

You can easily install a copy of Windows XP or Vista (i prefer XP) if you own a retail copy. Just use the built in mac program "Boot Camp Assistant."

This will allow you to dual boot so you can use visual studio, cobol, etc.. as you need it.

The only upgrade I recommend is 2 or 4 GB of RAM. Don't buy from apple though. Get 3rd party RAM. 4 GB of RAM should run you $99. As a CS major, you should have an idea of how to put the RAM in yourself.

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

As a CS major he should know wether or not the hardware on any current generation computer would be capable of running basic programming software... Macs run XP splendidly. You won't even have to use XP for Java... woot. And if your CS undergraduate courses start like the most of them, you'll be dealing with Java first (which is retarded). But oh well.
    Hehe, just my two cents there.

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Yer i'm sure it will. Nice laptops they are, very portable, nice display and that

Will do the trick
    Just like somebody else mentioned... Can always put a copy of windows on there if you wanted to using boot camp or a virtualization program

Then again, if you dont need it right this moment i would try and wait a few weeks. Supposed to be upgrades to the macbooks, but not sure.

If you need one, go for the Macbook now!

Also 2GB - 4GB of ram i recommend and rightly so, get the upgrades from a 3rd party. Cheaper and better deal for your cash.

;-)
    x

5. Aranince macrumors 65816

I'm also going to be taking CS courses next year. I'm personally planning on buying a Macbook Pro for the bigger screen, and hopefully after the update, more power.