Computer Science/ Visual Effects Student Buying Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgrubbs, Jun 26, 2013.

  1. pgrubbs macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2013
    #1
    Hello all! I am a rising freshman planning on studying computer science with a minor in film, so I am looking for a computer with the capabilities to handle video editing software (Final Cut Pro, After Effects, etc.). Also, I will most likely need to run windows and linux either natively or on a virtual machine. This being said, I have a few questions.

    1)Normally the Back to School sales have been announced by now, should I continue waiting or not?
    2)The buyer's guide expects an update to the macbook pros, but is there any indication that it will happen before August?
    3)Would the 15" cMBP or rMBP be more suited to my needs? I can get more from the rMBP out of the box, but the cMBP is much more easily upgraded. I'm just thinking that I could upgrade the RAM for less money if I did it myself, and I could also wait for SSDs to go down in price in a couple of years and upgrade it then.

    Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
     
  2. gt94 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2013
    #2
    Waiting for the BTS sale really just depends on when you need it and if you think the wait it worth the offer. The BTS sale can be announced any day now, or it may take a while. Last year, they offered a $100 mac store (I think) card, or they may offer an ipod or something similar this year. If you don't need the laptop for a while, I would wait, but it is really just a personal preference. If you buy now, and they announce BTS in the next 14 days, I believe you can still get the offer.

    No one really knows if the MPB will be refreshed before August or not.

    Which laptop you should get? I'll let someone else answer that one because I'm not too familiar with what can be upgraded with which models.

    I, too, will be studying Computer Science in the Fall :)
     
  3. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

    A Hebrew

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2012
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #3
    I would get the rMBP 15", after you add an SSD and more RAM to the cMBP you will be coming crazy close to the price of the retina. Waiting is up to you, but if you don't make sure you get a refurbished.
     

Share This Page